Pat Reavy, Deseret News
MIDVALE — A 31-year-old man was shot and killed at an apartment complex here Sunday morning.
The incident happened just before 5:30 a.m. at the Wasatch Club Apartments, 6999 S. State. Justen Len LeFave - who would have turned 32 on Tuesday - answered a knock at the door of apartment 1503, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
A man and two women were at the door. Following a brief conversation, the man shot LeFave in the entryway, Hoyal said.
LeFave was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition and died a short time later.
The alleged gunman and the two women were last seen leaving the apartment complex at a high rate of speed in a tan GMC Yukon with chrome rims and tinted windows, Hoyal said. Witnesses described the man as a bald, heavy-set white man with tattoos and no facial hair.
There were other people inside the apartment when the shooting occurred, Hoyal said. LeFave did not live in the apartment. Hoyal did not know Sunday what the two men talked about in the doorway prior to the shooting or what a possible motive for the incident might be.
Ryan Park, a friend of LeFave's, said he had been sleeping on the couch at the apartment. Park said he had just talked to LeFave Saturday during a barbecue.
"Seeing yellow tape up, is just crazy. I can't believe it happened," he said, "No one deserves this."
Travis Mortensen was LeFave's neighbor for over a year.
"He was a really good guy and this sucks that this happened to him," Mortensen said. "He was a very laid back guy. Nice to everyone."
A check of state court records shows LeFave did not have any significant criminal history in Utah outside of a 2008 arrest charge for misdemeanor drug and drug paraphernalia possession.
Anyone with information on the shooting can call police at 801-743-7000.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 36
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 21
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 18
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17