Pat Reavy, Deseret News
MIDVALE — A 31-year-old man was shot and killed at an apartment complex here Sunday morning.
The incident happened just before 5:30 a.m. at the Wasatch Club Apartments, 6999 S. State. Justen Len LeFave - who would have turned 32 on Tuesday - answered a knock at the door of apartment 1503, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
A man and two women were at the door. Following a brief conversation, the man shot LeFave in the entryway, Hoyal said.
LeFave was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition and died a short time later.
The alleged gunman and the two women were last seen leaving the apartment complex at a high rate of speed in a tan GMC Yukon with chrome rims and tinted windows, Hoyal said. Witnesses described the man as a bald, heavy-set white man with tattoos and no facial hair.
There were other people inside the apartment when the shooting occurred, Hoyal said. LeFave did not live in the apartment. Hoyal did not know Sunday what the two men talked about in the doorway prior to the shooting or what a possible motive for the incident might be.
Ryan Park, a friend of LeFave's, said he had been sleeping on the couch at the apartment. Park said he had just talked to LeFave Saturday during a barbecue.
"Seeing yellow tape up, is just crazy. I can't believe it happened," he said, "No one deserves this."
Travis Mortensen was LeFave's neighbor for over a year.
"He was a really good guy and this sucks that this happened to him," Mortensen said. "He was a very laid back guy. Nice to everyone."
A check of state court records shows LeFave did not have any significant criminal history in Utah outside of a 2008 arrest charge for misdemeanor drug and drug paraphernalia possession.
Anyone with information on the shooting can call police at 801-743-7000.
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Judge postpones ruling in Park City Mountain...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22