Westminster volleyball: women's volleyball sweeps St. Mary to win tournament
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College women's volleyball team claimed the title at the Westminster Tournament of Champions with a 3-0 sweep of College of St. Mary (Neb.) on Saturday afternoon in the Behnken Field House.
Westminster improved to 6-1 overall this season and 3-0 in the tournament with the 29-27, 25-19, 25-19 victory. The loss dropped St. Mary to 0-4.
The Griffins finished the match hitting a season-best .350 after posting 44 kills. They also were solid on the defensive side with 10 blocks and 48 digs. They held CSM to .114 hitting and forced the Flames into 23 hitting errors. Westminster also had five service aces and was able to overcome seven aces against them.
Stephanie Jones Morin led the Griffin attack with 10 kills and hit .562 on the afternoon. The senior also came up with three blocks and one ace. Ashley Marchant recorded seven kills and hit .462, and Alyse Horton posted six kills with a .500 hitting efficiency. Andrea Christensen also posted six kills in her first start of the season.
The first match was a back-and-forth affair that featured 14 ties and six lead changes. Westminster hit .286 in the set and took advantage of seven CSM hitting errors. The Griffins would turn up the offensive pressure over sets two and three. They hit .355 in the second stanza with 14 kills and then went for 15 kills and a .444 hitting efficiency in the third.
Joy Leick and Jessica Kuehner led the way for CSM with nine kills apiece. Aysha Janssen added eight kills, and Baylee Collins recorded 10 digs.
Westminster will look to continue its hot start next weekend when the team travels to California for a tournament hosted by Concordia (Calif.). The Griffins will open against The Master's College on Friday at noon.
- Roger Federer pulls out of French Open
- Pacquiao's Senate victory brings him closer...
- Phil Mickelson to forfeit nearly $1 million...
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 49
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 36
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 29
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 19
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Morning links: Bronco Mendenhall and... 15
- Utah State forward Jalen Moore removes... 7
- Doug Robinson: Principals give era of... 6