SALT LAKE CITY – The 22nd-ranked Westminster College women's soccer team opened the 2012 season with an offensive explosion in a 6-0 win over Avila (Mo.) on Friday afternoon at Dumke Field. The Griffins scored four times in the second half to earn the victory.
Westminster is now 1-0 on the season while Avila falls to 0-1.
The six goals are the third most ever scored in a game by Westminster, and the most in a season opener since 2007. They also set a new school record with six assists in the game. The Griffins fired 17 shots and put 11 on target.
The scoring was started in the 28th minute as sophomore Rylei North took a thru ball from Camille Cooper and beat the keeper for her first goal as a Griffin. Cooper then got in the action in the 36th minute as she headed home a corner kick from Lorin Wathen to make in 2-0 heading into halftime.
Justine Jones got on the board in the 69th minute with her shot from 25 yards out the bent inside the far post. Jones strike was on a first touch from a ball paid back by Margo Hickman. North then added her second goal in the 80th minute when she put one inside the right corner from just inside the box on a pass from Jaime Nelson.
Hickman would be featured on each of the final two Westminster goals, earning an assist on a goal by Alyssa Hill in the 84th minute and then scoring her first goal of the year in the 89th minute from a great ball by Caitlyn Jasumback.
The Griffins defense was also solid in the win as they held Avila to just seven shots. Jamie Wilkinson recorded five saves in goal to earn a shutout in her first career start.
Westminster will return to action on Sunday afternoon when they host College of Idaho. The action is slated for a 4:30 p.m. kickoff at Dumke Field.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16