Attorneys for GOP activist accused of rape delay court process
SALT LAKE CITY — Gregory Nathan Peterson appeared in court Friday for an arraignment, but legal tactics prevented that from happening.
Peterson's defense attorney, Cara Tangaro, said in 3rd District Court that she plans to file motions in advance of a hearing that was set for Nov. 2.
Tangaro has already filed a motion asking Judge Katie Bernards-Goodman to consider reducing Peterson's bail, which was increased to $2 million after a preliminary hearing last week. She's also indicated she plans to file a motion to separate each of the four alleged victims into individual cases against Peterson.
The women accusing Peterson may also be subpoenaed to appear again, Tangara said. When prosecutors countered that additional testimony would be redundant and unnecessary, as they would repeat the same stories, Tangaro said she is certain "it won't be the same testimony."
Peterson, 37, who remains at the Salt Lake County Jail, waived his right for transport from the jail for future court hearings. He appeared clean-shaven and had recently had a haircut.
He is facing 25 separate criminal charges involving four women, including rape, aggravated kidnapping, forcible sodomy, object rape, forcible sexual abuse, assault, burglary and sexual battery. Court documents indicate he used his association with the LDS church and his standing as a mover in Republican circles.
While his attorneys have maintained their client is innocent, Peterson, of Orem, did not enter a formal plea on any of the charges Friday.
Tangaro did not speak to reporters regarding the most recent hearing.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14