Evan Agostini, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — KSL-TV will not air "The New Normal," the NBC sitcom slated for a Sept. 11 debut about a single mother's journey through life as a surrogate mother for a gay couple. NBC introduced the sitcom to American audiences earlier this month via an extended two-minute preview during prime-time coverage of the London Olympics.
"After viewing the pilot episode of 'The New Normal,' we have made the decision to keep it off our fall schedule," said Jeff Simpson, CEO of KSL parent company Bonneville International, via a prepared statement. "For our brand, this program simply feels inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time.”
Simpson cited crude dialogue, explicit content and offensive characterizations as underlying reasons KSL will not air "The New Normal."
Last month the advocacy group One Million Moms called for advertisers to boycott "The New Normal" on the grounds that "this program is damaging to our culture."
Simpson cautioned that KSL's decision to pass on "The New Normal" is neither an indictment of NBC, nor an attempt to prevent interested viewers from watching the show.
"NBC is a valued partner — and as the Summer Olympic Games prove, they are committed to great news, sports and entertainment programming," he said. "KSL is confident that with the proliferation of digital media, those who wish to view the program can easily do so."
A year ago, KSL declined to air another NBC show, "The Playboy Club," about the original Playboy Club in Chicago in 1961. NBC canceled that show after three episodes due to poor ratings.
J.G. Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 33
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13