"EPIC TALES OF A MISFIT HERO," by Matt Peterson, Bonneville Books, $8.99, 95 pages (f) (ages 12 and up)
“Epic Tales of a Misfit Hero” by Matt Peterson is an entertaining read that will appeal to younger audiences. It is a true coming of age story that any Mormon 12-year-old will be able to relate to.
Twelve-year-old Andrew is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who just graduated from Primary. Eager to begin his new responsibilities as a deacon, Andrew is both excited and nervous. One of his new duties is passing the sacrament at church, a responsibility that Andrew takes very seriously. Despite this, he is afraid he will drop a tray, cough on the bread, or forget what rows he is supposed to go to.
Andrew survives his first Sunday as a deacon and starts preparing for their quorum camp-out in the mountains. Andrew becomes leery as various ward and family members keep praying for his safety. Eventually, he pushes his worries to the back of his mind and starts to enjoy the prospect of camping in the woods.
When the camp-out doesn’t go exactly as planned, Andrew wonders if he should have come on the trip. Despite the shortcomings, Andrew and his quorum will have to learn how to be strong, despite opposition and physical harm.
“Epic Tales of a Misfit Hero” is a heart-warming book. It has several humorous moments that all Boy Scouts can relate to. Most importantly it has several spiritual moments that will teach youngsters what it means to rely on the Lord.
Shelby Scoffield is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a graduate student at California State University, Stanislaus.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 68
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 32
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 16
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 10