"EPIC TALES OF A MISFIT HERO," by Matt Peterson, Bonneville Books, $8.99, 95 pages (f) (ages 12 and up)
“Epic Tales of a Misfit Hero” by Matt Peterson is an entertaining read that will appeal to younger audiences. It is a true coming of age story that any Mormon 12-year-old will be able to relate to.
Twelve-year-old Andrew is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who just graduated from Primary. Eager to begin his new responsibilities as a deacon, Andrew is both excited and nervous. One of his new duties is passing the sacrament at church, a responsibility that Andrew takes very seriously. Despite this, he is afraid he will drop a tray, cough on the bread, or forget what rows he is supposed to go to.
Andrew survives his first Sunday as a deacon and starts preparing for their quorum camp-out in the mountains. Andrew becomes leery as various ward and family members keep praying for his safety. Eventually, he pushes his worries to the back of his mind and starts to enjoy the prospect of camping in the woods.
When the camp-out doesn’t go exactly as planned, Andrew wonders if he should have come on the trip. Despite the shortcomings, Andrew and his quorum will have to learn how to be strong, despite opposition and physical harm.
“Epic Tales of a Misfit Hero” is a heart-warming book. It has several humorous moments that all Boy Scouts can relate to. Most importantly it has several spiritual moments that will teach youngsters what it means to rely on the Lord.
Shelby Scoffield is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a graduate student at California State University, Stanislaus.
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2