BYU cross-country: BYU women's cross-country voted to finish second in preseason poll
PROVO, Utah – Following a poll of the nine head women's cross-country coaches in the West Coast Conference, BYU was selected to finish in second place behind the University of San Francisco.
The Dons received seven first-place votes and 63 overall points, while BYU received one first-place vote with 56 overall points. The University of Portland also received one first-place vote with 51 overall points and is tabbed to finish third.
The conference also released the names of the 2012 Preseason All-WCC Team. BYU senior Stephanie Bills is the lone runner to represent BYU on the team. As a junior, Bills finished 14th at the WCC Championships with a time of 21:39. She graduated last year with a degree in nursing but will return to use her last year of eligibility with the cross country team.
San Francisco led the conference in All-WCC selections with five runners. Portland followed closely behind with three runners, while BYU and Gonzaga had one runner each.
BYU placed second in conference standings in 2011 behind San Francisco. The Dons have captured the last three conference championships.
The preseason polls for the regional and national rankings will be posted Monday and Tuesday, respectively, at www.ustfccca.org/rankings/division-i-rankings.
2012 West Coast Conference Preseason Poll
Team (First Place Votes) Points
1. San Francisco (7) 63
2. BYU (1) 56
3. Portland (1) 51
4. Loyola Marymount 44
5. Gonzaga 33
6. Santa Clara 27
7. San Diego 24
8. Saint Mary’s 14
9. Pepperdine 12
2012 Preseason All-West Coast Conference Team
Runner School Year
Alice Baker San Francisco Senior
Stephanie Bills BYU Senior
Sophie Curl San Francisco Senior
Kellie Houser Portland Junior
Laura Suur San Francisco Senior
Marit Tegelaar Portland Senior
Emily Thomas Gonzaga Junior
Chloe Treleven San Francisco Senior
Maor Toyouri San Francisco Junior
Merel van Steenbergen Portland Junior
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48