Corn on the cob is such a symbol of summertime food. It is a great complement to just about anything grilled and is perfect for eating outside. Right now is the time of year when fresh corn is at its best. The kernels are tender and sweet. It can be found at roadside stands, in huge bins at the grocery store or, better yet, in your own garden.
Corn on the cob in one of my favorite things to eat, but until recently, it was one of my least favorite things to make. Shucking is a pain; boiling and trying to remove cobs from the hot water without burning yourself can be challenging; then trying to butter it while the corn is still hot often translates into too much work. But I’ve found a way to make buttery, flavorful corn on the cob that is so easy, now I make it year-round!
EASY CORN ON THE COB
4 ears of corn (shucked and cleaned — no getting out of this unless you can persuade the kids to do it)
3 tablespoons of soft butter or margarine
1 teaspoon salt
Hot sauce, taco sauce, lemon pepper or whatever seasoning you desire
Mix the butter and salt in a small bowl. If desired, stir in a couple drops of Tabasco or some other seasoning. Using a paper towel to keep your hands clean, spread the butter mixture over each cob. Place on a plate and microwave for 7 to 8 minutes until done. No need to butter or salt — it is ready to go! You’ll be surprised at how easy and delicious this recipe is.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of two. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- 5 rules for a happy marriage
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- Hundreds pray, fast for Utah boy burned over...
- The Clean Cut: 'Harry Potter' and 'Twilight'...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- The Clean Cut: Put down your phone, pick up...
- Where to watch free summer outdoor movies in...
- How Harrison Ford’s broken leg could...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 61
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: A 12-year-old... 13
- Parents of eight children both have... 9
- Erin Stewart: Stumbling blocks to adoption 9
- Family struggling with loss of mother,... 6
- Why your doctor wants you to read aloud... 5
- Hundreds pray, fast for Utah boy burned... 3
- One mother's plea: 'Am I enough?' 2