Blue roundup: After yet another concussion, should Austin Collie call it a career?
Former BYU star Austin Collie has been a hot topic of conversation nationally this week after he sustained yet another concussion.
Some pundits have asked if the Indianapolis Colts wide receiver should retire from the game. Gregg Doyel of cbssports.com talked to Collie's father, Scott, who is also a former BYU receiver that dealt with serious injuries.
"The son is the story, but Scott Collie is the prism through which I wanted to see it. He's a former receiver himself — he caught passes from Steve Young at BYU, then played four years in the Canadian Football League — but above all else he's a father. He's the father, specifically, of an NFL player who has suffered three concussions in 21 months," Doyel writes. "This was a delicate phone conversation, as you can imagine. Part of me wanted to know how Scott Collie had handled the news of his son's latest concussion. But part of me wanted to know, had to know, if Austin wanted to keep playing — and whether the father would allow it. We'll let Scott Collie answer that last question first. 'He's going to keep playing — so long as the Colts will have him,' Scott told me. 'I don't know what 26-year-old is going to listen to his dad. I can advise. I can't tell him to stop.'"
Fans eagerly awaiting the start of the season, next Thursday, can pass the time by flipping through this BYU football fan guide.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22