Blue roundup: After yet another concussion, should Austin Collie call it a career?
Former BYU star Austin Collie has been a hot topic of conversation nationally this week after he sustained yet another concussion.
Some pundits have asked if the Indianapolis Colts wide receiver should retire from the game. Gregg Doyel of cbssports.com talked to Collie's father, Scott, who is also a former BYU receiver that dealt with serious injuries.
"The son is the story, but Scott Collie is the prism through which I wanted to see it. He's a former receiver himself — he caught passes from Steve Young at BYU, then played four years in the Canadian Football League — but above all else he's a father. He's the father, specifically, of an NFL player who has suffered three concussions in 21 months," Doyel writes. "This was a delicate phone conversation, as you can imagine. Part of me wanted to know how Scott Collie had handled the news of his son's latest concussion. But part of me wanted to know, had to know, if Austin wanted to keep playing — and whether the father would allow it. We'll let Scott Collie answer that last question first. 'He's going to keep playing — so long as the Colts will have him,' Scott told me. 'I don't know what 26-year-old is going to listen to his dad. I can advise. I can't tell him to stop.'"
Fans eagerly awaiting the start of the season, next Thursday, can pass the time by flipping through this BYU football fan guide.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 45
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42