Blue roundup: After yet another concussion, should Austin Collie call it a career?
Former BYU star Austin Collie has been a hot topic of conversation nationally this week after he sustained yet another concussion.
Some pundits have asked if the Indianapolis Colts wide receiver should retire from the game. Gregg Doyel of cbssports.com talked to Collie's father, Scott, who is also a former BYU receiver that dealt with serious injuries.
"The son is the story, but Scott Collie is the prism through which I wanted to see it. He's a former receiver himself — he caught passes from Steve Young at BYU, then played four years in the Canadian Football League — but above all else he's a father. He's the father, specifically, of an NFL player who has suffered three concussions in 21 months," Doyel writes. "This was a delicate phone conversation, as you can imagine. Part of me wanted to know how Scott Collie had handled the news of his son's latest concussion. But part of me wanted to know, had to know, if Austin wanted to keep playing — and whether the father would allow it. We'll let Scott Collie answer that last question first. 'He's going to keep playing — so long as the Colts will have him,' Scott told me. 'I don't know what 26-year-old is going to listen to his dad. I can advise. I can't tell him to stop.'"
Fans eagerly awaiting the start of the season, next Thursday, can pass the time by flipping through this BYU football fan guide.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20