TAYLORSVILLE — The FBI on Thursday arrested a man accused of throwing his son off the back of a motorcycle while fleeing from police.
Brian Eddis Johnson, 42, was found hiding at his mother's house in Taylorsville, police said Friday. Both Johnson and his mother have since been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail.
Tuesday night, an officer spotted a man speeding near 6400 South and 1300 East. It appeared he was about to pull over, but the man fled instead. When the man finally stopped, he pushed his 13-year-old son off the back of the bike, causing the boy to fall on his face, police said. The man then sped away, clipping the officer.
Police said they were able to identify the man as Johnson through his son. They found the motorcycle hidden under a blanket at a house in Murray.
Thursday night, the FBI's Safe Streets Task Force got a tip that Johnson was hiding out at his mother's Taylorsville apartment. "(Officers) saw Mr. Johnson through the window and positively identified him," said Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Dave Broadhead.
The FBI made contact with Johnson and his mother, but both refused to cooperate and Johnson barricaded himself inside the house, Broadhead said. Eventually, Johnson surrendered.
Johnson was booked for investigation of aggravated assault on a police officer, fleeing and child abuse. His mother was booked for investigation of harboring a fugitive.
There was a $50,000 warrant out for Johnson's arrest. Police said he has a history of drug and theft charges.
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19