TAYLORSVILLE — The FBI on Thursday arrested a man accused of throwing his son off the back of a motorcycle while fleeing from police.
Brian Eddis Johnson, 42, was found hiding at his mother's house in Taylorsville, police said Friday. Both Johnson and his mother have since been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail.
Tuesday night, an officer spotted a man speeding near 6400 South and 1300 East. It appeared he was about to pull over, but the man fled instead. When the man finally stopped, he pushed his 13-year-old son off the back of the bike, causing the boy to fall on his face, police said. The man then sped away, clipping the officer.
Police said they were able to identify the man as Johnson through his son. They found the motorcycle hidden under a blanket at a house in Murray.
Thursday night, the FBI's Safe Streets Task Force got a tip that Johnson was hiding out at his mother's Taylorsville apartment. "(Officers) saw Mr. Johnson through the window and positively identified him," said Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Dave Broadhead.
The FBI made contact with Johnson and his mother, but both refused to cooperate and Johnson barricaded himself inside the house, Broadhead said. Eventually, Johnson surrendered.
Johnson was booked for investigation of aggravated assault on a police officer, fleeing and child abuse. His mother was booked for investigation of harboring a fugitive.
There was a $50,000 warrant out for Johnson's arrest. Police said he has a history of drug and theft charges.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Man arrested in Mt. Olympus homicide...
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt Lake...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 24