Men look 26 years back to testify about cold case killing
"A good snitch is a dead snitch," he said. "I went into a mode of, 'I don't know nothing, I didn't see nothing.'"
Eventually he said he made an agreement with prosecutors to tell the complete truth. "That's what I'm telling right now," he said.
Carey said he didn't remember telling Murray to drive Pennington anywhere the night of July 8, but he remembers the men and two others arriving at the party together. He said he remembers seeing Ramirez the day before Pennington told him she was dead.
"(Ramirez) said she thought someone was following her and that she was scared," he testified. "I thought she was tripping and said, 'Ain't nobody following you.' We all looked around and didn't see anybody, but I wish we'd looked a little closer."
The next night, he said Pennington announced that Ramirez was dead.
"We were all flipping out that she was dead," Carey said. "What I understood at that time from him was everybody wanted to know where and he said the hills, he didn't know where. ... We were all just looking at him trying to figure out what was going on."
Carey said he suffers from brain lesions and is currently on five different medications, including two to treat diagnoses from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. He agreed when defense attorney Michael Sikora asked him if he had "all kinds of gaps" in his memory, but said at least once, gesturing to Pennington: "I don't believe that man killed nobody."
The hearing ended Thursday when he became "real agitated" and asked 3rd District Judge Robin Reese to stop the hearing. He is expected to finish testifying Friday. Attorneys indicated they need a second full day for additional testimony. After all the testimony is heard, Reese will then determine if there is sufficient evidence to order Pennington to stand trial.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13