Another witness: It is one of the earliest published mentions of the Book of Mormon, this “1829 Mormon Discovery” of a newspaper letter from Oliver Cowdery highlighted on the Juvenile Instructor blog and found by researcher Erin Jennings. It’s fascinating for many reasons, not the least of which is this quote: “You also wished Mr. Harris to inform you respecting his seeing this book, whether there could not possibly have been some juggling at the bottom of it. A few words on that point may suffice. ‘It was a clear, open beautiful day, far from any inhabitants, in a remote field, at the time we saw the record, of which it has been spoken, brought and laid before us, by an angel, arrayed in glorious light, (who) ascend (descended, I suppose) out of the midst of heaven.’ ‘Now if this is human juggling — judge ye.’” Indeed. Click to read the entire letter. (Note: Full disclosure, the Robin who posted Jennings's find happens to be my historically-minded husband.)
Gilbert Temple: I know I post a lot of these photos of the Gilbert Arizona Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but wouldn’t you if you saw photos like this one of the “Arizona Sky” that backdrops the almost completed temple? Oh my goodness, so beautiful! Check it out!
Friday fun: with food storage! These bloggers had a bit too much fun making a video to highlight the importance of being prepared. Watch as these “Preparedness Heroes” save the town from scurvy with sprouts. My favorite part is the kids all crying about not getting any vegetables and then shouting “Hooray!” when the sprouts arrive. Fun.
Preparedness Heroes, Episode 1
Will the Preparedness Heroes save the world from DoomnGloom and scurvy?
Emily W. Jensen updates "Today in the Bloggernacle" on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, presenting the best from the world of LDS-oriented blog sites. Her extended "Bloggernacle Back Bench" appears on Tuesdays. Email: email@example.com
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 84
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 49
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 18
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 12