Sandy man found dead in church parking lot, police say
HOLLADAY — The family of a Sandy man found dead in Holladay said they are "in shock."
The body of Michael Robert Workman, 25, was found about 7:30 a.m. Thursday on a grass strip on the side of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints meetinghouse at 4930 S. Westmoor Road (1730 East) by a neighbor.
Unified police detectives are treating the death as a homicide and looking for a suspect and motive.
According to the victim's sister, the Alta High School graduate lived with his parents and had spoken with his father Wednesday evening. Workman told them he planned to spend time with friends after playing Frisbee golf, Caren Workman Toomer said.
Toomer said she heard about her brother's death from her father and learned the details from the news.
Workman was the youngest of five children, an Eagle Scout who got along with everyone, she said.
"He was a wonderful, goofy kid," Toomer said. "He was a guy that everybody just loved instantly."
Investigators said Workman suffered "puncture wounds consistent with a homicide. They do not appear to be self-inflicted injuries," said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. Authorities did not know what kind of weapon was used to stab him.
"Everybody is just in shock," Toomer said. "We are just in shock about how something like this could happen. Who would do something like this?"
Workman's vehicle was found parked in the street, west of the church property. Investigators did not initially know of any other connection the man had to the church.
Hoyal said detectives also didn't know Thursday whether Workman died where he was found or if his body was dropped off there, or why he was in that neighborhood.
Through the investigation, several names of witness and possible suspects have been developed. Those individuals are being contacted and interviewed, Hoyal said.
"There are a lot of questions we are still looking for answers for," he said. "We know that he has puncture wounds that would lead us to believe it is a homicide investigation."
Police have asked anyone with information about the case to call 801-743-7000.
Contributing: Jasen Lee
- Herriman man dies following fistfight with...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Man critically injured by power line while...
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police...
- Utah Highway Patrol trooper shot multiple...
- Families of men shocked in electrical...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 78
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 72
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs... 23
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 18
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police... 18