UVU volleyball: Wolverine women's volleyball selected to repeat in Great West Conference
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — The Great West Conference volleyball coaches have chosen defending champion Utah Valley as the favorite to win the 2012 GWC volleyball title in their annual preseason poll announced Thursday by the league office.
The Wolverines were the coaches' unanimous choice, garnering all five first place votes for a total of 25 points to top the poll.
Houston Baptist received 18 points in the balloting for second place, while NJIT was third with 14 points. Texas-Pan American and Chicago State rounded out the poll with 10 points and eight points, respectively.
The GWC champion will be determined by a double-round robin, and the race for the title will begin in late September. A postseason champion will be decided at the Great West Conference Volleyball Tournament hosted by Utah Valley on November 16-17.
UVU will begin its 2012 season Friday in Tucson, Ariz., as it will take part in the Wildcat Classic. The Wolverines will face Cal State Northridge and Evansville on Friday and host Arizona on Saturday.
GWC 2012 Preseason Volleyball Poll
1. Utah Valley, (5) 25 pts.
2. Houston Baptist, 18 pts.
3. NJIT, 14 pts.
4. Texas-Pan American, 10 pts.
5. Chicago State, 8 pts.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15