Rep. Jason Chaffetz gets speaking slot at GOP convention
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A second Utahn has snagged a coveted speaking spot at next week's Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. — Rep. Jason Chaffetz, a key surrogate for Mitt Romney.
Chaffetz is set to speak sometime Monday, the opening day of the four-day convention where GOP delegates from around the country will formally nominate Romney as their pick for president.
"It's a real honor," Chaffetz said. "I've been active as a Romney surrogate for the last year and a half. I've done untold numbers of television, radio and newspaper interviews. To have a minute or two to share that perspective with the full convention, that doesn't come very often. I'm very grateful."
After the GOP convention, Chaffetz said he'll travel to Charlotte, N.C., the site of the Democratic National Convention to offer a GOP viewpoint. Vice President Joe Biden is filling a similar role in Tampa.
Chaffetz joins 4th District congressional candidate Mia Love on the list of speakers. Love is scheduled to address the convention Tuesday evening, just before former presidential candidate and Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum speaks.
Love's effort to unseat Rep. Jim Matheson, Utah's only Democrat in Congress, is attracting attention from national Republican leaders. She would be the first black GOP woman in Congress if elected.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10