Rep. Jason Chaffetz gets speaking slot at GOP convention
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A second Utahn has snagged a coveted speaking spot at next week's Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. — Rep. Jason Chaffetz, a key surrogate for Mitt Romney.
Chaffetz is set to speak sometime Monday, the opening day of the four-day convention where GOP delegates from around the country will formally nominate Romney as their pick for president.
"It's a real honor," Chaffetz said. "I've been active as a Romney surrogate for the last year and a half. I've done untold numbers of television, radio and newspaper interviews. To have a minute or two to share that perspective with the full convention, that doesn't come very often. I'm very grateful."
After the GOP convention, Chaffetz said he'll travel to Charlotte, N.C., the site of the Democratic National Convention to offer a GOP viewpoint. Vice President Joe Biden is filling a similar role in Tampa.
Chaffetz joins 4th District congressional candidate Mia Love on the list of speakers. Love is scheduled to address the convention Tuesday evening, just before former presidential candidate and Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum speaks.
Love's effort to unseat Rep. Jim Matheson, Utah's only Democrat in Congress, is attracting attention from national Republican leaders. She would be the first black GOP woman in Congress if elected.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Police identify American Fork cyclist killed...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 50
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 34
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 12