SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of assaulting and murdering a 6-year-old West Jordan girl appeared in court Wednesday on new sex abuse charges involving another neighbor girl.
Terry Lee Black, 41, who is already facing charges of aggravated murder and child kidnapping in the death of Sierra Newbold, was advised of the new charges — two counts aggravated sexual abuse of a child, a first-degree felony, and two counts sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony — he is now facing in a separate case.
The charges stem from the alleged abuse of an 11- or 12-year-old friend of Black's daughter when she slept overnight at his apartment. Black's daughter was hosting a summer sleepover one night with a neighbor friend when Black entered his daughter's bedroom while she was asleep and touched the friend under her clothing and forced her to touch him, according to charges.
The following summer, Black called the same girl and told her his daughter needed her help, the charges state. When the girl arrived at Black's apartment, his daughter wasn't there. Police say Black closed the door and sexually abused the girl again.
Prosecutors learned about the alleged abuse after Black was arrested in June in connection with Newbold's death. The alleged incidents occurred between 2007 and 2009. It is unclear what prompted the alleged victim to come forward.
Black said nothing during the brief court appearance Wednesday. After he was informed of the new charges Wednesday, his case was moved to West Jordan, where he is facing charges of capital murder, child kidnapping and rape of a child, all first-degree felonies, stemming from Newbold's death.
Black is charged with entering the Newbold home, 2383 W. 7095 South, at 3:05 a.m. on June 26 through a sliding glass door. A home security camera recorded someone leaving the house, "apparently carrying something" a few minutes later.
The 6-year-old was sexually assaulted, strangled and then drowned in a nearby canal, an autopsy determined.
A scheduling conference in the new abuse case was set for Sept. 11. Black will have a scheduling conference on the Newbold-related charges on Oct. 9.
- Provo couple killed in RV accident near St....
- Police were watching, listening to Josh and...
- 'More questions than answers' as charges...
- Susan Powell's father wants help searching...
- Parents of Sandy Hook victim, Emilie Parker,...
- Native American tribe buries remains, 150...
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer found...
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Chaffetz not willing to take... 71
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer... 44
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17
- $2.6B needed for Utah to reach... 17
- Letters to family show Steven Powell... 17
- Utah's Count My Vote caucus initiative... 16