Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
In a rare media interview by a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder M. Russell Ballard confirms to CNN's Gary Tuchman the church's complete political neutrality in the upcoming U.S. presidential race.
"Elder Ballard is crystal clear," Tuchman reports. "There is no relationship between the campaign and the church."
TUCHMAN: Does the church endorse candidates for president of the United States?
ELDER BALLARD: No, we don't.
TUCHMAN: Do you think it would be proper for a politician to spread the word about their religion the same way they did when they were on their missions?
ELDER BALLARD: No. I think that would be terribly misunderstood.
Tuchman also asks Elder Ballard about a number of church doctrines and teachings in an attempt, he says, to help viewers "understand what it means to be Mormon."
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological accounts...
- Online manners improve when real people show up
- Trump sparks activists' quest to register 1...
- See how this forgotten Holocaust history is...
- New subjects of 'Meet the Mormons' share...
- How #ThisFlag pastor Evan Mawarire used...
- US cardinal says ‘Christian...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 38
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 25
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 12
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 11
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 11
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 9