Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
In a rare media interview by a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder M. Russell Ballard confirms to CNN's Gary Tuchman the church's complete political neutrality in the upcoming U.S. presidential race.
"Elder Ballard is crystal clear," Tuchman reports. "There is no relationship between the campaign and the church."
TUCHMAN: Does the church endorse candidates for president of the United States?
ELDER BALLARD: No, we don't.
TUCHMAN: Do you think it would be proper for a politician to spread the word about their religion the same way they did when they were on their missions?
ELDER BALLARD: No. I think that would be terribly misunderstood.
Tuchman also asks Elder Ballard about a number of church doctrines and teachings in an attempt, he says, to help viewers "understand what it means to be Mormon."
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- 27 more tips for couples: Marriage advice,...
- 6 ways youths, leaders can reboot the church...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Streaming video: Long-awaited Star Valley...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 100
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 62
- Spiritual journey leads 3-term U.S.... 51
- Physicist tells New York Times he keeps... 37
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 25
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Sweeping size of Payson Temple reflects... 17