Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
In a rare media interview by a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder M. Russell Ballard confirms to CNN's Gary Tuchman the church's complete political neutrality in the upcoming U.S. presidential race.
"Elder Ballard is crystal clear," Tuchman reports. "There is no relationship between the campaign and the church."
TUCHMAN: Does the church endorse candidates for president of the United States?
ELDER BALLARD: No, we don't.
TUCHMAN: Do you think it would be proper for a politician to spread the word about their religion the same way they did when they were on their missions?
ELDER BALLARD: No. I think that would be terribly misunderstood.
Tuchman also asks Elder Ballard about a number of church doctrines and teachings in an attempt, he says, to help viewers "understand what it means to be Mormon."
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 24
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 9
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- New features at Ogden Temple reception... 6
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5