Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
In a rare media interview by a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder M. Russell Ballard confirms to CNN's Gary Tuchman the church's complete political neutrality in the upcoming U.S. presidential race.
"Elder Ballard is crystal clear," Tuchman reports. "There is no relationship between the campaign and the church."
TUCHMAN: Does the church endorse candidates for president of the United States?
ELDER BALLARD: No, we don't.
TUCHMAN: Do you think it would be proper for a politician to spread the word about their religion the same way they did when they were on their missions?
ELDER BALLARD: No. I think that would be terribly misunderstood.
Tuchman also asks Elder Ballard about a number of church doctrines and teachings in an attempt, he says, to help viewers "understand what it means to be Mormon."
- LDS First Presidency calls 8 new MTC presidents
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- Lindsey Stirling, Alex Boye, others to...
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'...
- New Joseph Smith Papers volume provides...
- All Blacks perform haka tribute for deceased...
- The effect of having a widow's mite of faith
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates... 16
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- A lesson a little girl learned while... 4
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'... 4
- The effect of having a widow's mite of... 2
- Pope Francis brings peace message to... 1
- Book review: 'Understanding the... 1