Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
In a rare media interview by a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder M. Russell Ballard confirms to CNN's Gary Tuchman the church's complete political neutrality in the upcoming U.S. presidential race.
"Elder Ballard is crystal clear," Tuchman reports. "There is no relationship between the campaign and the church."
TUCHMAN: Does the church endorse candidates for president of the United States?
ELDER BALLARD: No, we don't.
TUCHMAN: Do you think it would be proper for a politician to spread the word about their religion the same way they did when they were on their missions?
ELDER BALLARD: No. I think that would be terribly misunderstood.
Tuchman also asks Elder Ballard about a number of church doctrines and teachings in an attempt, he says, to help viewers "understand what it means to be Mormon."
- LDS Church announces publication of the...
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God told me...
- Why 'The Book of Mormon' musical is not just...
- LDS mom qualifies for U.S. Olympic Marathon...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 31
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 28
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God... 27
- LDS Church announces publication of the... 20
- Russians' views on religion are... 16
- Why 'The Book of Mormon' musical is not... 14
- 5 faith facts about Jim Gilmore:... 8
- Two Sudanese pastors could face the... 6