'The gospel is for everybody,' says former BYU basketball great Jeff Chatman
In April 1989, Chatman married his sweetheart, Leah, in the Jordan River Temple. Today the Chatmans live in Ridgefield, Wash. Jeff and Leah have eight children. The oldest, Jocelyn, is a student at BYU. Jessica, another daughter, is a junior in high school. She has already committed to play basketball for BYU coach Jeff Judkins.
Jordan, the oldest son and No. 2 child, is serving a mission in Taiwan and committed to play for BYU upon his return.
Jordan’s middle name, “Reid,” is an expression of love and gratitude to Roger Reid, the coach who didn’t give up on signing Chatman as a Cougar.
“You don’t think that hasn’t meant something to me?” Reid said. “I’ve coached a lot of players, but I don’t know that I love any player more than Jeff Chatman. His impact has been unbelievable.”
Chatman owns and operates two emergency dental offices in Oregon and serves on his stake’s high council. Leah describes him as a natural speaker and teacher. He has also enjoyed researching his family history.
Reflecting on his life now, he can see how the Lord prepared him for the experiences he has had.
The biggest message Chatman hopes people will take away from his story is a witness of the universal power of the gospel of Jesus Christ and how it can bless lives.
“The gospel is not for one particular race, color or nationality,” he said. “It doesn’t matter if you are rich or poor. I’m a normal guy who accepted the gospel.
“The gospel is for everybody.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- Mormon man's rap album hits No. 1 spot on...
- New poll finds Americans less likely to keep...
- LDS Church hires assistant church historian...
- 'One in Charity': Thousands gather for 40th...
- Up-close view of angel Moroni statue being...
- The evolution of LDS 'lady missionaries' and...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 48
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 29
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 26
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 25
- For Hillary Clinton, church offers a... 21
- The benefits some families see from... 16
- ... 13