Blue roundup: Battle is on for Washington State quarterback job
While BYU has a clear-cut starter at quarterback, its season-opening opponent, Washington State, has two QBs fighting for the starting job.
"Mike Leach won't come right out and say it, but the Washington State coach has drawn plenty of lines to read between when it comes to his team's quarterback competition," writes Christian Caple of the Spokesman Review. "The battle — if you can call it that — between senior Jeff Tuel and redshirt sophomore Connor Halliday was supposed to be staged during the spring, but Halliday's liver injury kept him out of 11-on-11 sessions and Tuel took every snap with the No. 1 offense. Halliday returned healthy for camp, but Tuel has continued to take the majority of the No. 1 reps."
Read about the man — a Utah graduate — behind BYU's new nutrition program.
And Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star writes that the Colts should waive former BYU star Austin Collie in the wake of Collie's recent concussion.
"How can the Colts, who presumably care about the long-term health of Austin Collie, allow the team’s oft-concussed wide receiver to return to the football field in a Colts uniform?" Kravitz writes. "Clearly, Collie is not going to make the most difficult decision an athlete will ever have to make by himself. So the Colts need to make it for him. They need to waive him."
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34