Sen. Harry Reid will be the keynote speaker when 200 or so Mormon Democrats meet for what the New York Times is calling "a coming out party" for "an increasingly assertive caucus of Mormon Democrats" at the Democratic National Convention in early September.
"Mormons who are Democrats are always a lonely bunch, but never more so than in this election year when one of their fellow church members is about to make history and be crowned the Republican nominee for president," reporter Laurie Goodstein wrote.
An organization called LDS Dems was formed in Utah last year. According to Goodstein, the organization has grown to more than 2,000 members. They are trying to increase the number of LDS Democrats in "Mormon-heavy states like Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada and New Mexico."
And, of course, Utah.
"They are using an approach not unlike missionary work: convincing Mormons one on one that the Democratic Party better represents their moral and religious ideals," Goodstein wrote, paraphrasing Matt Lyon, executive director of the Utah Democratic Party.
Although the story notes that the LDS Church does not endorse any political party, Goodstein indicated that "the stigma of being a Democrat in Utah is strong." She related the story of a man in Iron County who recently told a state Democratic Party official that he doesn't tell anyone in the community he is gay "because if I do, they'll know I'm a Democrat."
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 108
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 64
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 20
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 13
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 8