SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah was named Tuesday as one of the country's top 25 friendly schools for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.
The rankings were announced by the Huffington Post in partnership with Campus Pride, using information from an index that rates colleges and universities based on LGBT-friendly policies, programs and practices.
“Praise and accolades are deserved for these top 25 colleges and universities," Campus Pride executive director Shane Windmeyer said in a prepared statement. "Every student deserves to feel safe on campus, and all of these colleges are committed to creating a more LGBT-friendly campus.”
The U. received high or perfect ratings in every category, which ranged from campus safety to student life and retention efforts. Tuesday's rankings mark the first year the university has been included in the top 25.
"It's great news," said Kai Martinez, director of the LGBT Resource Center at the U. "It really shows how committed the university is to students' needs on campus."
Martinez said the ranking is a reflection of a campus-wide effort to respond to student concerns and create a welcoming atmosphere for all students, regardless of sexual orientation.
The university received its lowest rating, a 3.5 out of 5 stars, in the housing and residence life category, which Martinez said is likely because there is no designated gender-neutral housing on campus.
"Housing does what they can to accommodate LGBT students," Martinez said.
The Campus Pride rankings are based on questionnaires submitted by students, faculty and staff at U.S. colleges and universities.
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Senate committee snuffs out e-cigarettes...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- House, Senate still struggling over budget
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 31
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 19
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18