Murray woman ordered to stand trial in death of 4-month-old
"Jennifer said she loved Kaysen just like a son, that she was very close to him, that she was always holding him and loving him," Pentico said.
Pentico said both Calhoun and Martinez were considered persons of interest early on in the investigation. But he said his attention shifted to Martinez during an interview at the police station when she said she was the only one with the infant in the hour and a half before his death. This stuck out to him because one doctor told him that Kaysen would have shown immediate effects from his injuries and would have died soon after they were inflicted, he said.
He told Martinez that the child would have had to sustain the fatal injuries while in her care. He said Martinez said she was bouncing Kaysen and may have bounced him too hard before "she finally admitted to me that she shook Kaysen."
He said Martinez said she shook the infant because he wouldn't stop crying and demonstrated how she held him as she shook him, which was consistent with the injuries he sustained. She said she shook the child for about five minutes.
Defense attorneys questioned why Pentico didn't mention another doctor's opinion that the injuries could have been inflicted between 9 and 11 a.m. and asked Calhoun about some text messages she sent Martinez Sept. 19 in which she said Kaysen was "driving me crazy" and that she was ready to "kill Kaysen."
"We intend to show it was not my client who caused the injury," defense attorney John West told the judge.
"I was staying stupid stuff," Calhoun explained. "I didn't mean it literally."
When asked why his client confessed if she is not guilty, West said the interview with police was "extremely long" and may have involved mental and emotional coercion.
An arraignment hearing has been set for Sept. 10.
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 104
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 68
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 54
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 37
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 33
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 31