Tooele fire destroys two trailers, leaves 11 people displaced
TOOELE — Eleven people were displaced Sunday after a fire was started in a trailer park and destroyed two homes, partially destroying a third.
The fire started around 12:30 p.m. at White's Mobile Home Park at 1120 W. Utah Avenue, assistant Tooele Fire Chief Bucky Whitehouse said. Two trailers were a total loss and a third was partially destroyed.
"I came out this morning and was getting ready to head out and I saw this trailer across the street just bursting into flames," neighbor Vincent Brown said, describing how the blaze first spread to a tree adjacent to the trailer. "It didn't take long to involve the trailer next to it. It was pretty horrific."
Brown said a young couple with three children live in the trailer where the fire started.
No one was seriously injured in the fire, thought one adult male went to the hospital with minor injuries, Whitehouse said.
The American Red Cross reported that they were providing food, shelter and clothing to 11 people whose homes were destroyed, according to a news release.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but Tooele Police Lt. Adrian Day said they were receiving reports that there were children playing with matches in a shed before the fire began.
"We don't know that for sure," Day said. "We're investigating it. We have the state fire marshal coming out and that's where we're at."
Brown said the blaze was hot enough to melt the skirting on at least two other trailers, including his own.
"It was intense," he said. "When a trailer gets going, it flat goes."
Contributing: Roger Cary
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were likely...
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- Wrong way driver killed, 1 critically injured...
- Top 5 other playgrounds you haven't yet...
- Gail Miller honored as 'Giant In Our City'
- Tea party movement still strong, Harvard...
- Utah frat, former president suspended over...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 35
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 28
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 26
- Dramatic increase in Alzheimer's... 24
- Sen. Mike Lee not ready to endorse Ted... 18
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Co-founder of Ancestry.com charged with... 14
- Herbert's signature finalizes return of... 14