Tooele fire destroys two trailers, leaves 11 people displaced
TOOELE — Eleven people were displaced Sunday after a fire was started in a trailer park and destroyed two homes, partially destroying a third.
The fire started around 12:30 p.m. at White's Mobile Home Park at 1120 W. Utah Avenue, assistant Tooele Fire Chief Bucky Whitehouse said. Two trailers were a total loss and a third was partially destroyed.
"I came out this morning and was getting ready to head out and I saw this trailer across the street just bursting into flames," neighbor Vincent Brown said, describing how the blaze first spread to a tree adjacent to the trailer. "It didn't take long to involve the trailer next to it. It was pretty horrific."
Brown said a young couple with three children live in the trailer where the fire started.
No one was seriously injured in the fire, thought one adult male went to the hospital with minor injuries, Whitehouse said.
The American Red Cross reported that they were providing food, shelter and clothing to 11 people whose homes were destroyed, according to a news release.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but Tooele Police Lt. Adrian Day said they were receiving reports that there were children playing with matches in a shed before the fire began.
"We don't know that for sure," Day said. "We're investigating it. We have the state fire marshal coming out and that's where we're at."
Brown said the blaze was hot enough to melt the skirting on at least two other trailers, including his own.
"It was intense," he said. "When a trailer gets going, it flat goes."
Contributing: Roger Cary
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13