Tooele fire destroys two trailers, leaves 11 people displaced
TOOELE — Eleven people were displaced Sunday after a fire was started in a trailer park and destroyed two homes, partially destroying a third.
The fire started around 12:30 p.m. at White's Mobile Home Park at 1120 W. Utah Avenue, assistant Tooele Fire Chief Bucky Whitehouse said. Two trailers were a total loss and a third was partially destroyed.
"I came out this morning and was getting ready to head out and I saw this trailer across the street just bursting into flames," neighbor Vincent Brown said, describing how the blaze first spread to a tree adjacent to the trailer. "It didn't take long to involve the trailer next to it. It was pretty horrific."
Brown said a young couple with three children live in the trailer where the fire started.
No one was seriously injured in the fire, thought one adult male went to the hospital with minor injuries, Whitehouse said.
The American Red Cross reported that they were providing food, shelter and clothing to 11 people whose homes were destroyed, according to a news release.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but Tooele Police Lt. Adrian Day said they were receiving reports that there were children playing with matches in a shed before the fire began.
"We don't know that for sure," Day said. "We're investigating it. We have the state fire marshal coming out and that's where we're at."
Brown said the blaze was hot enough to melt the skirting on at least two other trailers, including his own.
"It was intense," he said. "When a trailer gets going, it flat goes."
Contributing: Roger Cary
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13