Tooele fire destroys two trailers, leaves 11 people displaced
TOOELE — Eleven people were displaced Sunday after a fire was started in a trailer park and destroyed two homes, partially destroying a third.
The fire started around 12:30 p.m. at White's Mobile Home Park at 1120 W. Utah Avenue, assistant Tooele Fire Chief Bucky Whitehouse said. Two trailers were a total loss and a third was partially destroyed.
"I came out this morning and was getting ready to head out and I saw this trailer across the street just bursting into flames," neighbor Vincent Brown said, describing how the blaze first spread to a tree adjacent to the trailer. "It didn't take long to involve the trailer next to it. It was pretty horrific."
Brown said a young couple with three children live in the trailer where the fire started.
No one was seriously injured in the fire, thought one adult male went to the hospital with minor injuries, Whitehouse said.
The American Red Cross reported that they were providing food, shelter and clothing to 11 people whose homes were destroyed, according to a news release.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but Tooele Police Lt. Adrian Day said they were receiving reports that there were children playing with matches in a shed before the fire began.
"We don't know that for sure," Day said. "We're investigating it. We have the state fire marshal coming out and that's where we're at."
Brown said the blaze was hot enough to melt the skirting on at least two other trailers, including his own.
"It was intense," he said. "When a trailer gets going, it flat goes."
Contributing: Roger Cary
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Farr West woman found dead in home, foul play...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit filed by...
- BYU student injured in bounce house accident...
- Ogden farmer's pumpkin patch, version 2.0,...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 39
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 31
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 24
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14