Centerville church leader faces child sex abuse charges
, Davis County Jail
CENTERVILLE — A Centerville man was charged Friday with sexually abusing two children, crimes enhanced because he was in a "position of trust" for the children.
Timothy William Bothell, 43, was arrested Thursday and is facing two first-degree felony counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child and four counts of lewdness involving a child, a class A misdemeanor.
The sex abuse charges are aggravated in nature because Bothell "holds a position of trust in relationship to the victims," said Centerville Assistant Police Chief Paul Child. Bothell was serving as a member of an LDS stake high council in Centerville at the time of his arrest, he said.
"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has zero tolerance for abuse of any kind," LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said in a written statement. "Those found guilty of these actions are subject to the demands of the law and also face church discipline. The welfare of victims is our utmost concern and church leaders will continue to offer counseling and other resources to help in the healing process."
Police said Bothell, 43, last week was confronted by and admitted to his wife that he had inappropriate sexual contact with at least one child of a family friend. Bothell later contacted Child Protective Services, which then involved police.
The ongoing investigation has turned up two female victims, ages 13 and 11, who are both friends of the Bothell family, according to Child. Bothell is accused of exposing himself to the girls, with four specific incidents detailed in the charges. He is also accused of touching one of the girls while she was sleeping at his home, which led to the felony charges.
Bothell, who has three children, has worked for the Missionary Department of the LDS Church since 2004. Trotter said Bothell is no longer employed there.
Bothell was being held in the Davis County Jail and is scheduled to appear in court Aug. 24.
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Panel recommends options to reduce aviation...
- Audit of embattled S.L. County Recorder's...
- Woman critically injured in Bountiful...
- Photos: A Pioneer Day celebration of heritage...
- Man falls 70 feet to his death in Provo
- Man shot dead in Midvale; alleged shooter in...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 75
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17