Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A delegation of 15 representatives from the American Jewish Committee met earlier this week with senior leaders from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to a press release issued by the AJC.
The press release indicated "the two-day visit included a VIP tour of a newly completed LDS temple and a high-level briefing on advances in mitigating Jewish concerns regarding the issue of posthumous baptism of Holocaust victims."
The leaders also discussed "Jewish and Mormon approaches to preserving religious identity in an age of secularization and advocacy in behalf of religious freedom," the press release said.
LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter confirmed that the church had hosted the AJC group at the new Brigham City Utah Temple, and that Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the church's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles hosted the tour.
"In addition to touring the temple," Trotter said, "guests visited several church facilities including Welfare Square, Temple Square and the Family History Center."
AJC's interreligious team has traveled to Salt Lake City for similar meetings a number of times during the past several decades in an "effort to understand (the LDS Church) as they understand themselves," the press release noted.
"AJC's longstanding relationship with the LDS Church is based on mutual understanding as a foundation for cooperation and respect," said Rabbi Noam Marans, AJC's director of Interreligious and Intergroup Relations. "Visiting Salt Lake City advances our leadership's knowledge of the LDS Church. We were warmly received by LDS Church leaders with remarkable hospitality."
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26