Charges: Man accused of killing West Jordan girl sexually abused another neighbor
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of raping and killing a 6-year-old girl in his West Jordan neighborhood was charged Friday with sexually abusing another neighbor.
Terry Lee Black, 41, is now charged with abusing an 11- or 12-year-old friend of his daughter when she slept overnight at his apartment.
Police learned about the alleged abuse after Black was arrested in June and charged with murdering Sierra Newbold.
"We were able to work and investigate these allegations and subsequently be able to put together sufficient facts warranting the filing of charges," said Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill.
Prosecutors say the abuse occurred between 2007 and 2009. His daughter was hosting a summer sleepover one night with a neighbor friend. Black entered his daughter's bedroom while she was asleep and touched the friend under her clothing and forced her to touch him, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court.
The following summer, Black called the same girl and told her his daughter needed her help, the charges state. When the girl arrived at Black's apartment, his daughter wasn't there. Police say Black closed the door and sexually abused the girl again.
Gill was unsure what prompted the girl to recently come forward.
Terry Lee Black, 41, is charged with two counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, a first-degree felony; and two counts of sexual abuse of a child, a second-degree felony. He faces three first-degree felony charges of capital murder, child kidnapping and rape of a child in connection with the death of Sierra.
"Of course we wanted to be very careful and did our due diligence in investigating those (allegations)," Gill said. "And based on what was given to us, as a result, filed those charges."
Gill said that it is important for victims of a sexual assault or a sexual crime to recognize there are many agencies available to assist them and that they are not alone.
Black is charged with entering the Newbold home, 2383 W. 7095 South, at 3:05 a.m. on June 26 through a sliding glass door. A home security camera recorded someone leaving the house, "apparently carrying something" a few minutes later.
The 6-year-old was sexually assaulted, strangled and then drowned in a nearby canal, an autopsy determined.
Black was arrested after allegedly stealing a car and robbing a bank on Redwood Road three days later. While being interviewed, investigators noted the black soot on his legs was consistent with the burned field where Sierra's clothing was found.
Black told police his wife kicked him out of his apartment on June 20. He was wearing the same clothes when he was arrested on June 29.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 50
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 36
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 13