Driver arrested after hitting, injuring 2 bicyclists, police say
MURRAY — A man was arrested after police say he hit two bicyclists while driving Friday morning.
Michael James Saenz, 23, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of driving under the influence causing serious bodily injury and operating a motor vehicle near a bicycle.
"The driver of the vehicle came up on the two bike riders and apparently bumped the one off of his bicycle. He ended up hitting the ground," said Murray police detective Jeff Maglish said. "The second rider ended up taking the full impact of the car and was injured seriously."
Robert Cooper, 30, of West Jordan, was hospitalized in serious condition. Ryan Turley, 29 of Sandy, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and was later released.
The two were riding south on 700 East near 4500 South when they were hit about 1:15 a.m. Police said both bicyclists had flashing lights on the front and back of their bikes. They were wearing reflective clothing.
"It was just a ‘pow' and just a grown man screaming as loud as he could," said Michael Crawford, who witnessed the incident. "Just a blood-thickening scream. It was one that gives you tingles."
Crawford saw the car involved come to a stop. He pulled in front of the vehicle to keep the driver from leaving the scene.
"It was apparent that the two guys were under the influence of something. I approached the driver and told him that I wouldn't think about leaving. He followed me to the police vehicle," Crawford said.
Murray Police Sgt. Jake Huggard said there was some suspicion that Saenz, the driver, was intoxicated.
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- Officials tackling existing, expected...
- Utah's Tibetan community prays, mourns for...
- Family wins security system, keeps son on...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 62
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 59
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 50
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 22
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 22
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15