MURRAY — A man was arrested after police say he hit two bicyclists while driving Friday morning.
Michael James Saenz, 23, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of driving under the influence causing serious bodily injury and operating a motor vehicle near a bicycle.
"The driver of the vehicle came up on the two bike riders and apparently bumped the one off of his bicycle. He ended up hitting the ground," said Murray police detective Jeff Maglish said. "The second rider ended up taking the full impact of the car and was injured seriously."
Robert Cooper, 30, of West Jordan, was hospitalized in serious condition. Ryan Turley, 29 of Sandy, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and was later released.
The two were riding south on 700 East near 4500 South when they were hit about 1:15 a.m. Police said both bicyclists had flashing lights on the front and back of their bikes. They were wearing reflective clothing.
"It was just a ‘pow' and just a grown man screaming as loud as he could," said Michael Crawford, who witnessed the incident. "Just a blood-thickening scream. It was one that gives you tingles."
Crawford saw the car involved come to a stop. He pulled in front of the vehicle to keep the driver from leaving the scene.
"It was apparent that the two guys were under the influence of something. I approached the driver and told him that I wouldn't think about leaving. He followed me to the police vehicle," Crawford said.
Murray Police Sgt. Jake Huggard said there was some suspicion that Saenz, the driver, was intoxicated.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11