Driver arrested after hitting, injuring 2 bicyclists, police say
MURRAY — A man was arrested after police say he hit two bicyclists while driving Friday morning.
Michael James Saenz, 23, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of driving under the influence causing serious bodily injury and operating a motor vehicle near a bicycle.
"The driver of the vehicle came up on the two bike riders and apparently bumped the one off of his bicycle. He ended up hitting the ground," said Murray police detective Jeff Maglish said. "The second rider ended up taking the full impact of the car and was injured seriously."
Robert Cooper, 30, of West Jordan, was hospitalized in serious condition. Ryan Turley, 29 of Sandy, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and was later released.
The two were riding south on 700 East near 4500 South when they were hit about 1:15 a.m. Police said both bicyclists had flashing lights on the front and back of their bikes. They were wearing reflective clothing.
"It was just a ‘pow' and just a grown man screaming as loud as he could," said Michael Crawford, who witnessed the incident. "Just a blood-thickening scream. It was one that gives you tingles."
Crawford saw the car involved come to a stop. He pulled in front of the vehicle to keep the driver from leaving the scene.
"It was apparent that the two guys were under the influence of something. I approached the driver and told him that I wouldn't think about leaving. He followed me to the police vehicle," Crawford said.
Murray Police Sgt. Jake Huggard said there was some suspicion that Saenz, the driver, was intoxicated.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Firefighter, 3 others injured in apartment blaze
- 8 injured in 3-car West Haven crash
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 31
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 29
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11