Driver arrested after hitting, injuring 2 bicyclists, police say
MURRAY — A man was arrested after police say he hit two bicyclists while driving Friday morning.
Michael James Saenz, 23, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of driving under the influence causing serious bodily injury and operating a motor vehicle near a bicycle.
"The driver of the vehicle came up on the two bike riders and apparently bumped the one off of his bicycle. He ended up hitting the ground," said Murray police detective Jeff Maglish said. "The second rider ended up taking the full impact of the car and was injured seriously."
Robert Cooper, 30, of West Jordan, was hospitalized in serious condition. Ryan Turley, 29 of Sandy, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and was later released.
The two were riding south on 700 East near 4500 South when they were hit about 1:15 a.m. Police said both bicyclists had flashing lights on the front and back of their bikes. They were wearing reflective clothing.
"It was just a ‘pow' and just a grown man screaming as loud as he could," said Michael Crawford, who witnessed the incident. "Just a blood-thickening scream. It was one that gives you tingles."
Crawford saw the car involved come to a stop. He pulled in front of the vehicle to keep the driver from leaving the scene.
"It was apparent that the two guys were under the influence of something. I approached the driver and told him that I wouldn't think about leaving. He followed me to the police vehicle," Crawford said.
Murray Police Sgt. Jake Huggard said there was some suspicion that Saenz, the driver, was intoxicated.
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 30
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7