Watch the sales at grocery stores and stock up on supplies you think you may need.
Some families go in together and split the cost of buying a hog or steer and having it slaughtered and butchered. Talk to neighbors, friends. Exchange ideas on ensuring fresh food supplies.
When it comes to water, tell your children to turn the tap off while they brush their teeth. Do the same. The water you save won't help with the water needs of a Tooele County rancher, but it could stay in the system for next year's use in another household.
The division offers a variety of advice and guides on water-saving tips at www.conservewater.utah.gov.
Burton said he hopes people get over the idea that because water comes out a tap, or even out of streams fed by reservoir storage, there is some sort of endless supply.
"If you can get by with on a little less, use a little less," he said. "Conservation in a year like this is extremely important to survive next year."
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- As times get better can you keep a leash on...
- Millennials relying on prepaid cards and...
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey on trust
- Efforts to stop excavation at Point of the...
- Want a better return on your college...
- Got weeds? Hire a goat
- Utah high school students receive engineering...
- Want a better return on your college... 17
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 17
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey... 10
- Efforts to stop excavation at Point of... 6
- Got weeds? Hire a goat 2
- Private school in Texas gives students... 2
- Highly efficient 'passive homes' gain... 1
- Secret to Prism program: It's just one... 1