Watch the sales at grocery stores and stock up on supplies you think you may need.
Some families go in together and split the cost of buying a hog or steer and having it slaughtered and butchered. Talk to neighbors, friends. Exchange ideas on ensuring fresh food supplies.
When it comes to water, tell your children to turn the tap off while they brush their teeth. Do the same. The water you save won't help with the water needs of a Tooele County rancher, but it could stay in the system for next year's use in another household.
The division offers a variety of advice and guides on water-saving tips at www.conservewater.utah.gov.
Burton said he hopes people get over the idea that because water comes out a tap, or even out of streams fed by reservoir storage, there is some sort of endless supply.
"If you can get by with on a little less, use a little less," he said. "Conservation in a year like this is extremely important to survive next year."
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- University of Utah Health Care's AirMed puts...
- 2 financial goals you should revisit every year
- Utah gas prices among lowest in nation
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and Canada
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- System failure to blame for delayed... 9
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies,... 8
- Young adults are faced with risky... 6
- WestJet airline video goes viral as... 4
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and... 3
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch:... 3