More than 50 cars burglarized in Midvale, Cottonwood Heights
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
MIDVALE — More than 50 vehicles in Midvale and Cottonwood Heights were burglarized overnight in a smash-and-grab spree.
Unified police say about 50 cars were broken into at five different locations in their jurisdiction — mostly hotel and apartment complex parking lots — and a handful more in Cottonwood Heights.
The Holiday Inn Express, 7134 S. 700 East, was the hardest hit, with about 20 vehicles burglarized, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
"They were breaking a window and grabbing whatever they can," he said.
After breaking into a vehicle, the burglars would rummage through the glove boxes and center consoles. Power tools, cameras and iPods were among the items stolen, along with bigger items such as golf clubs.
Some cars had a driver's- or passenger-side window broken out and the burglars went through the vehicle, but nothing was stolen, Hoyal said.
Even though the hotel parking lot was well-lit, Hoyal said the burglars worked fast. Detectives believe more than one person was responsible, he said.
Cottonwood Heights police were able to get a possible vague suspect description. Investigators were looking Thursday for a white compact car with three males inside.
Police started receiving calls from people discovering their cars had been broken into about 4:30 a.m. Thursday.
Hoyal said the incident was a good reminder for all drivers: "Don't leave your valuables in your car."
Anyone with information on the burglaries can call police at 801-743-7000.
- About Utah: He's going public (again) for a...
- Mom who murdered 6 newborns sent to prison...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- Man paralyzed in shooting appeals sentence...
- A Utah hiker's dream: A trek that may take...
- 17 pictures that will make you appreciate...
- Woman stole mail from 127 people, police say
- 26-year-old Provo woman missing since...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new... 62
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 27
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 24
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 18
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 16
- Second student sues district over... 15
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 9