More than 50 cars burglarized in Midvale, Cottonwood Heights
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
MIDVALE — More than 50 vehicles in Midvale and Cottonwood Heights were burglarized overnight in a smash-and-grab spree.
Unified police say about 50 cars were broken into at five different locations in their jurisdiction — mostly hotel and apartment complex parking lots — and a handful more in Cottonwood Heights.
The Holiday Inn Express, 7134 S. 700 East, was the hardest hit, with about 20 vehicles burglarized, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
"They were breaking a window and grabbing whatever they can," he said.
After breaking into a vehicle, the burglars would rummage through the glove boxes and center consoles. Power tools, cameras and iPods were among the items stolen, along with bigger items such as golf clubs.
Some cars had a driver's- or passenger-side window broken out and the burglars went through the vehicle, but nothing was stolen, Hoyal said.
Even though the hotel parking lot was well-lit, Hoyal said the burglars worked fast. Detectives believe more than one person was responsible, he said.
Cottonwood Heights police were able to get a possible vague suspect description. Investigators were looking Thursday for a white compact car with three males inside.
Police started receiving calls from people discovering their cars had been broken into about 4:30 a.m. Thursday.
Hoyal said the incident was a good reminder for all drivers: "Don't leave your valuables in your car."
Anyone with information on the burglaries can call police at 801-743-7000.
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Video: Man uses 'random acts of pasta' to...
- Shoppers skip turkey for a shot at...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Advent: A time of fasting, preparation for...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- University Hospital opens hotel for patients,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 37
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 28
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 26
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 26