More than 50 cars burglarized in Midvale, Cottonwood Heights
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
MIDVALE — More than 50 vehicles in Midvale and Cottonwood Heights were burglarized overnight in a smash-and-grab spree.
Unified police say about 50 cars were broken into at five different locations in their jurisdiction — mostly hotel and apartment complex parking lots — and a handful more in Cottonwood Heights.
The Holiday Inn Express, 7134 S. 700 East, was the hardest hit, with about 20 vehicles burglarized, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
"They were breaking a window and grabbing whatever they can," he said.
After breaking into a vehicle, the burglars would rummage through the glove boxes and center consoles. Power tools, cameras and iPods were among the items stolen, along with bigger items such as golf clubs.
Some cars had a driver's- or passenger-side window broken out and the burglars went through the vehicle, but nothing was stolen, Hoyal said.
Even though the hotel parking lot was well-lit, Hoyal said the burglars worked fast. Detectives believe more than one person was responsible, he said.
Cottonwood Heights police were able to get a possible vague suspect description. Investigators were looking Thursday for a white compact car with three males inside.
Police started receiving calls from people discovering their cars had been broken into about 4:30 a.m. Thursday.
Hoyal said the incident was a good reminder for all drivers: "Don't leave your valuables in your car."
Anyone with information on the burglaries can call police at 801-743-7000.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 55
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 16
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 15