UVU basketball: Wolverine women's basketball adds Katie Kuklok
"We're thrilled to have Katie join our Wolverine family," Nixon said. "She's just a tremendous person, a great student and a fantastic basketball player. We're very excited for who she is and for what we believe she will bring to our program on and off the court."
Kuklok is a 5-foot-10 guard from Poway, Calif., and recently finished her freshman campaign at USD of the West Coast Conference prior to coming to Orem.
Last season she shot 40 percent from the field for the Toreros and 37 percent from behind the arc. She also helped USD to its best-ever season with a 26-9 overall record and to the semifinals of the WNIT.
During her senior season at Poway High School, Kuklok averaged 23 points, eight rebounds and three assists per game. She was also a McDonald's All-American nominee and was named the San Diego County Player of the Year, the Palomar League Player of the Year, a Max Preps California All-State honorable mention and a ESPN/Cal Hi Sports All-State Division I Player. Kuklok is also Poway High's all-time leading scorer with 1,982 career points. She was also a two-time first-team San Diego County All-Academic honoree by the Union Tribune.
"Katie is a very good player and a great shooter," Nixon said. "She shot well for San Diego last year and was an amazing scorer in high school. She has a well-rounded game and is a winner."
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Utah Jazz get blown out by Dallas 120-102
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32