In fact, “Hope Springs” is very much a dramatic, and very adult, exploration of two empty-nesters who have drifted apart even though they live in the same house. There are some funny moments — all of which have found their way into the trailers — but this is a far cry from being a comedy. And don’t let the presence of Steve Carell as their therapist throw you; he plays it straight, getting nary a laugh.
But the bigger question hovering over this film is why in the world it’s rated PG-13. There is nothing in this movie that is appropriate for high-schoolers. Chalk up another puzzling decision by the folks who rate the movies for the Motion Picture Association of America.
• At the end of last week’s column I lamented that the 1932 W.C. Fields Olympics-spoof comedy “Million Dollar Legs” is not on DVD. Late in the week, too late to fix the column, I received an email alert from Turner Classic Movies about a new four-movie box set from the 1930s, and guess what one of the films is? That’s right. “Million Dollar Legs” is part of the “Universal Rarities” set newly available at the TCM website, tcm.com.
Technically, the set should be “Paramount Rarities.” Although the films are owned by Universal now, all four were originally released by Paramount Pictures. The other three are “Belle of the Nineties” (1934), starring Mae West; “Artists & Models” (1937), with Jack Benny; and Gary Cooper in “Souls at Sea” (1937).
Hmmm. Don’t I have a birthday coming up?
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Can you guess when these 17 animated Disney...
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy era
- Sherry Young: Protecting our family in the...
- How parents can keep family screen time under...
- How to prevent cognitive decline related to...
- Maryland couple investigated again... 18
- BYU Cougarettes dance team wins... 9
- Former Ute Matt Asiata found success in... 8
- Is having children an irrational choice? 7
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy... 5
- Where are all the teens going? 4
- Schooled by autism: 5 lessons from my... 3
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 3