In fact, “Hope Springs” is very much a dramatic, and very adult, exploration of two empty-nesters who have drifted apart even though they live in the same house. There are some funny moments — all of which have found their way into the trailers — but this is a far cry from being a comedy. And don’t let the presence of Steve Carell as their therapist throw you; he plays it straight, getting nary a laugh.
But the bigger question hovering over this film is why in the world it’s rated PG-13. There is nothing in this movie that is appropriate for high-schoolers. Chalk up another puzzling decision by the folks who rate the movies for the Motion Picture Association of America.
• At the end of last week’s column I lamented that the 1932 W.C. Fields Olympics-spoof comedy “Million Dollar Legs” is not on DVD. Late in the week, too late to fix the column, I received an email alert from Turner Classic Movies about a new four-movie box set from the 1930s, and guess what one of the films is? That’s right. “Million Dollar Legs” is part of the “Universal Rarities” set newly available at the TCM website, tcm.com.
Technically, the set should be “Paramount Rarities.” Although the films are owned by Universal now, all four were originally released by Paramount Pictures. The other three are “Belle of the Nineties” (1934), starring Mae West; “Artists & Models” (1937), with Jack Benny; and Gary Cooper in “Souls at Sea” (1937).
Hmmm. Don’t I have a birthday coming up?
- Best and worst states to have a baby
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working to...
- 20 things I will not regret doing with my kids
- The Clean Cut: New 'Simba cam' takes over...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 ways to embrace your...
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's novel,...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 16
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale... 9
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working... 5
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be... 4
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me 4
- Why a parent going to prison can be... 4
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's... 3