DSC athletics: Dixie State student-athletes earn 2011-12 PacWest All-Conference accolades
PHOENIX, Ariz. – One hundred thirty-one Dixie State College student-athletes and nearly 1,000 representing each of the 10 Pacific West Conference institutions and all 11 of the league’s athletic programs have been named to the 2011-12 PacWest Academic All-Conference Team.
The honor was announced on Thursday, Aug. 16, by the conference media relations office in Phoenix, Ariz.
A total of 967 student-athletes earned the academic award for compiling a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00 – an increase of 227 student-athletes from 2010-11. Student-athletes who are eligible to practice or compete with their respective teams are eligible to receive the honor.
For Dixie State, the 131 athletes had representatives from all 11 PacWest sports. Women's soccer led the way with 25, followed by baseball (17), softball (16), men's soccer (14), volleyball (13), men's basketball (12), women's tennis (9), women's cross country (9), women's basketball (6), men's cross country (6) and men's golf (4).
The addition of California Baptist University as the 10th institution in the conference would naturally increase the number of academic all-conference selections; however, there was a jump of more than 200 student-athletes in one year.
For the third straight year, women’s soccer posted the most recipients with 173 Academic All-Conference Team members. Men’s soccer finished runner-up for the second consecutive year with 135, while softball wound up third with 125.
Every athletic program in the conference saw an increase, while baseball and women’s cross country saw significant climbs. Baseball improved from 53 to 87 student-athletes, while women’s cross country bumped its numbers from 50 to 74.
Student-athletes on the 2011-12 PacWest Academic All-Conference Team represent 70 percent of the United States, which is 35 of the states. Internationally, student-athletes from 37 different countries spread across six continents have landed on this year’s squad.
The PacWest now will choose a Scholar-Athlete of the Year for each of its 11 sports. Institutions have been presented with an opportunity to nominate one student-athlete from each of its athletic programs. The winners will be announced in late August.
Jeff Cluff is the Coordinator of Media Relations at Dixie State College Atheltics. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 45
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35