Ex-Brighton choir teacher charged with soliciting student
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A former Brighton High School teacher has been charged with soliciting a student and attempting to view pornography at school.
Steven Richard Smith, 39, was charged Thursday in Holladay Justice Court with electronic communication harassment, attempting to access pornography on school property and sexual solicitation, all class B misdemeanors.
Smith was a music and choir teacher at Brighton. An 18-year-old male student, a senior, "was offered opportunities via text in exchange for a sexual act," Cottonwood Heights Police Chief Robby Russo said.
Smith resigned immediately after being interviewed by detectives and the school, the chief said. Russo did not expand on what "opportunities" were offered.
The teacher resigned on Feb. 15, according to the Canyons School District. Police say the alleged crimes happened between March 1, 2011, and Feb. 22, 2012.
Smith is scheduled to be arraigned Sept. 12 in Holladay Justice Court.
A charge of sexual solicitation involves a defendant who "paid or offered to pay or agreed to pay another person a fee for the purpose of engaging in an act of sexual activity."
Police were contacted by an unnamed person who reported that inappropriate communication had occurred between Smith and a student. Detectives contacted school administrators, who turned over the man's laptop, said Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Gary Young.
Pornography was found on the computer, he said. The porn was not of the alleged victim, but rather adult porn that would otherwise be legal if not for detectives alleging that it was viewed on a school computer and possibly on school property, according to the sergeant.
The teacher's cellphone was also seized and inappropriate texts were found, Young said.
Smith was hired by the district on Dec. 21, 1999, and spent his entire time teaching at Brighton.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- Provo ranked 4th most educated city in...
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls officer...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 80
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 68
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 48
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 24
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 16