City after city began falling to Joan of Arc and her army. When Joan and Charles VII finally made it to the city of Reims, Joan saw to her final goal of crowning Charles king of France.
According to Wilcox, Joan desired to retire from the army and go home, but it was not in the cards. Assigned to a small town near Paris, a skirmish in 1430 led to Joan’s capture by the Burgundians who held her for ransom. King Charles, however, chose not to ransom her, and Joan remained a prisoner. She was eventually given to the English, where she tried twice to escape. At her trial, she defended her escape attempts by saying, “God helps those who help themselves.”
In the time before her martyrdom, Joan was tried on every side. She was constantly asked trick questions such as, “Are you in the grace of God?” According to Wilcox, if Joan answered “yes,” she would have been accused of pride, whereas if she had answered “no,” her existence would have no meaning. Joan’s reply stumped the English, however, when she said, “If I am not in the grace of God, may God put me there. And if I am, may God keep me there, for I would be the most sorrowful woman in the world if I knew that I was not in the grace of God.”
Joan held true on every account; they could not trap her. In fact, the only thing they could eventually condemn her for was wearing men’s clothing, because of a scripture in Deuteronomy.
According to Wilcox it was a miracle in itself that Joan had endured for so long.
“Exhausted by prison, weak from chains, deprived of hope, cornered, badgered, hated the courageous girl's ordeal had come to an end," he said.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 97
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 51
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 19
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 12
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 8