Ravell Call, Deseret News
MURRAY — A 72-year-old woman was hit and killed by a TRAX train Wednesday after witnesses say she drove around a downed crossing arm. A second person was injured in the accident.
The incident occurred just after noon. A vehicle traveling south on 300 West made a left turn through a red light at 5900 South, said Murray police detective Kenny Bass, then drove around a downed crossing arm that also had an adjacent flashing signal.
The driver's side quarter panel was struck, and the car was dragged between the TRAX train and the concrete barricade for about 100 to 150 yards before coming to a stop, Bass said.
The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Her name was not immediately released pending notification of family members. The reason the woman went around the crossing arm was still being investigated, the detective said.
A 73-year-old male passenger had to be extricated from the vehicle by firefighters before he was transported to a local hospital in stable condition.
The train was traveling between 50 and 55 mph at the time, according to the Utah Transit Authority, and would not have been slowing down at that point to approach the next TRAX platform at 6400 South.
No one on the TRAX train was injured, although the train did sustain significant damage, said UTA spokesman Gerry Carpenter.
The accident caused some delays to the TRAX system Wednesday while emergency officials investigated and cleaned up the accident.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows 'deep...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9