Sandy woman hit by car while retrieving bike remains unconscious
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman hit by a car while retrieving a bicycle off I-80 remained unconscious and in extremely critical condition Tuesday, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Jennifer Strong, 30, of Sandy, was injured Monday afternoon while trying to get one of her children's bicycles off I-80. The bike had fallen off the family car after hitting a bump in the construction zone near 7065 East, near the East Canyon interchange.
Strong's husband pulled over to the side after the bike fell off their trailer, and she got out to retrieve it but was struck by an oncoming vehicle. The woman's children were also in the vehicle at the time of the accident.
According to postings on Facebook by her father, she was trying to get the bicycle off the road to prevent an accident from happening. She and her family were on their way to Bear Lake, he said.
"Jennifer has sustained multiple fractures to all extremities and ribs. Her internal organs appear to be fully functioning at this time. They did surgery to check that issue. The major concern is her head trauma. She had a major skull fracture and they had to remove some pieces from brain tissue and she has bilateral subdural hematomas and they have been battling the swelling until early this AM and that appears to have stabilized," Donald Lively wrote.
"Her brain is functioning, but the extent of injuries is still to be determined once the swelling can be contained."
At 2:25 p.m. Tuesday, Lively updated his Facebook status, writing that she was "barely" hanging on.
"Each of the bones in her extremities, arms and legs are broken multiple times. Big concern is her brain and all the hemorrhaging in many locations," he wrote.
Lively indicated that the family would be holding a steady vigil in Strong's room in an effort to talk to her and let her know they are there.
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- Man honored for saving 3-year-old from...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling to...
- Officer who killed family had dark side,...
- BYU students took cover in bomb shelter...
- Body of 14-year-old American Fork boy...
- Teen admits starting 5-alarm Baron Woolen...
- 'Wicked' returns to Salt Lake City for 2...
- Group protests Hobby Lobby decision on... 60
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 51
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 39
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 39
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 30
- What's next for immigration reform? 27
- Officer who killed family had dark... 24
- Jehovah's Witnesses spread Bible message 21