Sobbing woman describes how 'the monster' Greg Peterson kidnapped, sexually abused her
2 other women also testify against GOP activist
She later went to a hospital for an exam and hesitated to tell the victim's advocate what had occurred.
"I didn't want (Peterson) to get mad at me," she said. "He had my phone number, he knew where I lived."
She told police a few days later, however, and indicated that she wanted to press charges. She said she had to call multiple times before a West Jordan police detective called back in February and discouraged her from pursuing charges, telling her it would be her word against Peterson's.
"I didn't think the police would do anything about it," she said. "It had taken them two months to call me so I figured it wouldn't do any good. I told them not to press charges."
She said she later suffered from nightmares and panic attacks.
Peterson's attorneys have been adamant that he is innocent. The preliminary hearing is scheduled to continue through Wednesday, at which time Judge Judith Atherton will determine if there is sufficient evidence to order Peterson to stand trial on the charges against him.
Peterson is facing 25 separate charges, including seven counts of rape, three counts of object rape, two counts of aggravated kidnapping, nine counts of forcible sexual abuse, forcible sodomy, assault, burglary and sexual battery involving four women.
A new charge was filed against Peterson Monday. The Wasatch County Attorney's Office charged him with forcible sex abuse, a second-degree felony. That incident allegedly happened in the spring of 2010.
He will have an initial appearance on that charge Aug. 29. He is currently being held in the Salt Lake County Jail on $750,000 bail.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12