OREM -- Utah Valley University tallied six times to outpace an equally offensive-minded Westminster College squad, winning 6-3 Monday night at Clyde Field. The game was the final preseason contest for the Wolverines before opening regular season play on Friday.
"We had 29 total shots, 16 in the first half, which is great," said Wolverine head soccer coach Brent Anderson. "I thought the girls passed the ball well and found the right seams to attack efficiently."
Westminster, out of Salt Lake City, set the offensive pace early, scoring the opening goal in just the 2nd minute. Back in her own zone, UVU goalkeeper Lauren Sack tried to clear the ball forward, but her kick ricocheted off the Griffins' Alyssa Hill. Hill recovered the ball and put it away into the empty net.
But the Wolverines responded, getting three goals in a four-minute span midway through the half. Harward scored at the 16:42 mark to tie the game. Then, two minutes later, senior Regan Benson delivered a cross to Janis, who drilled a shot into the corner to give UVU a 2-1 lead.
Less than two minutes later, at 20:34, Robison scored the first of her two goals to up the advantage to 3-1.
Westminster got another goal 10 minutes before halftime to make the score 3-2 at the break, but early second half goals from Robison and Benson put the Wolverines out of reach.
"Normally I would be happy holding a team to just five shots on goal for a game," Anderson said. "But when the other team gets three goals on those five shots, it's telling me we could tighten up a little more to close down their shooting opportunities."
UVU kicks off the regular season Friday night at 7:30 when UTEP visits Clyde Field.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24