OREM -- Utah Valley University tallied six times to outpace an equally offensive-minded Westminster College squad, winning 6-3 Monday night at Clyde Field. The game was the final preseason contest for the Wolverines before opening regular season play on Friday.
"We had 29 total shots, 16 in the first half, which is great," said Wolverine head soccer coach Brent Anderson. "I thought the girls passed the ball well and found the right seams to attack efficiently."
Westminster, out of Salt Lake City, set the offensive pace early, scoring the opening goal in just the 2nd minute. Back in her own zone, UVU goalkeeper Lauren Sack tried to clear the ball forward, but her kick ricocheted off the Griffins' Alyssa Hill. Hill recovered the ball and put it away into the empty net.
But the Wolverines responded, getting three goals in a four-minute span midway through the half. Harward scored at the 16:42 mark to tie the game. Then, two minutes later, senior Regan Benson delivered a cross to Janis, who drilled a shot into the corner to give UVU a 2-1 lead.
Less than two minutes later, at 20:34, Robison scored the first of her two goals to up the advantage to 3-1.
Westminster got another goal 10 minutes before halftime to make the score 3-2 at the break, but early second half goals from Robison and Benson put the Wolverines out of reach.
"Normally I would be happy holding a team to just five shots on goal for a game," Anderson said. "But when the other team gets three goals on those five shots, it's telling me we could tighten up a little more to close down their shooting opportunities."
UVU kicks off the regular season Friday night at 7:30 when UTEP visits Clyde Field.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 34
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26