High school football: Judge Memorial Bulldogs 2012 preview
“I’m a believer in football players. If two football players step up and show that they need to play then they’ll play,” Cordova said. “If there’s a clear-cut guy — he’s the starter. We ran through four or five games last season with two kids in the preseason playing quarterback and the only thing that took the other one out is he broke his hand.
“If the competition is there then the competition is there. It’s the same if you had two strong safeties battling for the (same) spot. You got to give them both a chance to shine. We’ll let it see how it plays out.”
Juniors Kaden Ellis and Michael Perry are both expected to handle snaps throughout the season.
"They’ve both done outstanding jobs. (I'm) really impressed with both of them at quarterback,” Cordova said.
Despite limited production returning, Judge should be able to put up large numbers this season.
(3 returning starters; Base 4-3 defense)
The Bulldogs look extremely deep on defense this season. Although the size is lacking, the speed is vastly apparent.
“I think our defense is pretty solid. I feel really good about where we’re at defensively,” Cordova said. “They know each other. They play well off of each other. They’ve got the system down, so it’s exciting to watch them go. They’re a high energy bunch — they fly around — and that’s what you want.”
The linebacking corps will be the heart of the defense this season. Three-year starter Pat Neville inherited the middle after playing outside last year.
Sosefo Falemaka had 40 tackles and two sacks as a junior has the potential to be a lights out run-stopper this season.
Coaches’ Region 10 straw poll: Second
Deseret News Region 10 prediction: Third
Bottom line: The Bulldogs, at first glance, look to be a solid contender in Region 10. It’s a coin-flip at this point in time between Judge and Wasatch for the second seed. If Judge's defense lives up to the preseason hype, a return trip to Rice-Eccles stadium isn’t completely out of the picture.
Aug. 17 — TOOELE, 7 p.m.
Aug. 24 — at Ogden, 7 p.m.
Aug. 31 — GRANTSVILLE, 7 p.m.
Sept. 7 — at Granger, 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 — SPANISH FORK, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 — PARK CITY, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 — at Wasatch, 7 p.m.
Oct. 5 — UNION, 7 p.m.
Oct. 12 — at Uintah, 7 p.m.
Oct. 19 — at Juan Diego, 7 p.m.
Felt's Facts for Judge Memorial High School
All-time record: 417-336-9 (85 years)
Region championships: 18 (1948, 1949, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966 co, 1972, 1977 co, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1993 co, 2008)
Playoff appearances: 39
All-time playoff record: 50-30
State championships: 9 (1948, 1949, 1959, 1953, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1981, 1983)
State championship record: 9-5
Most played rivalry: 52 meetings with Wasatch dating back to 1926. Wasatch leads 26-25-1. Meet on Sept. 28.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball season at...
- Salem Hills and Spanish Fork survive during...
- High school track: Final top performances of...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 1
- High school soccer: Maple Mountain... 1
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork sweeps second... 1
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state... 0