"Marriage counselor convicted on 1 count of sex abuse
SALT LAKE CITY — A jury Friday found a marriage counselor guilty of inappropriately touching a woman he was counseling but could not reach a decision on his actions in relation to a second woman who leveled similar accusations.
Arturo Tenorio, 57, was found guilty on one of two counts of forcible sex abuse.
"They could not reach a unanimous decision," said defense attorney Kenneth Brown.
Despite the hung jury on the second charge, 3rd District Court Judge Bruce Lubeck declined to declare a mistrial. Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 9. Tenorio, who was not a licensed marriage counselor, will remain free pending his sentencing.
Prosecutors contended that Tenorio focused on sex in his appointments with two female clients and used his involvement and associations within the LDS church as a way to gain their trust.
Tenorio was accused of inappropriately touching the women. The defense argued it was an issue of consent, and that while Tenorio's actions may have been morally questionable, they argued his actions were not criminal.
The jury disagreed in the case of one woman. And Tenorio's attorney will now try to get the conviction overturned. The judge will consider a motion filed by the defense to dismiss the count for which their client was found guilty.
"We honestly believe that the statute is flawed to the point that there needs to be a review by an appellate court," Brown said. "We're disappointed on count 2, but we honestly think that the statue is flawed as it relates to that conduct."
He faces 1 to 15 years when he is sentenced in October.
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Kearns home a total loss after accidental fire
- Man with gunshot wound collapses in West...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 12
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10