"Marriage counselor convicted on 1 count of sex abuse
SALT LAKE CITY — A jury Friday found a marriage counselor guilty of inappropriately touching a woman he was counseling but could not reach a decision on his actions in relation to a second woman who leveled similar accusations.
Arturo Tenorio, 57, was found guilty on one of two counts of forcible sex abuse.
"They could not reach a unanimous decision," said defense attorney Kenneth Brown.
Despite the hung jury on the second charge, 3rd District Court Judge Bruce Lubeck declined to declare a mistrial. Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 9. Tenorio, who was not a licensed marriage counselor, will remain free pending his sentencing.
Prosecutors contended that Tenorio focused on sex in his appointments with two female clients and used his involvement and associations within the LDS church as a way to gain their trust.
Tenorio was accused of inappropriately touching the women. The defense argued it was an issue of consent, and that while Tenorio's actions may have been morally questionable, they argued his actions were not criminal.
The jury disagreed in the case of one woman. And Tenorio's attorney will now try to get the conviction overturned. The judge will consider a motion filed by the defense to dismiss the count for which their client was found guilty.
"We honestly believe that the statute is flawed to the point that there needs to be a review by an appellate court," Brown said. "We're disappointed on count 2, but we honestly think that the statue is flawed as it relates to that conduct."
He faces 1 to 15 years when he is sentenced in October.
- ‘Stay strong,’ says 15-year-old...
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Man dies after running into bonfire at...
- Utah, national school superintendents...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- Salt Lake man stands trial in wife's cliff...
- Gov. Herbert's new chief of staff brings D.C....
- Utah Catholic schools buck national trends,...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 66
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 45
- Court lifts stay, but gives Utah chance... 39
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 38
- Utah, national school superintendents... 36
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 34
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or... 34
- West Jordan City Council passes on... 19