USU gymnastics: Jamie Donkin named Utah State gymnastics assistant coach
Utah State gymnastics coach Jeff Richards announced Friday that Jamie Donkin has been named as an assistant coach for the Aggies.
Donkin will replace Aggie assistant coach TeShawne Jackson who has left the program to coach at the club level in North Carolina.
"I'm really excited. I've known Jeff for a while and to be able to come in and help with the program is exciting," Donkin said. "It's something new and I'm ready to take on the challenge."
Donkin comes to Utah State from Sacramento State where she spent time competing and coaching. She spent the 2003 season as a beam specialist for the gymnastics team.
In 2004 she began working as a student assistant, working her way up as a graduate assistant and became a full time assistant coach in 2009 as the beam coach and floor choreographer for the Hornets.
Last season she coached the Sacramento State beam team to a 49.100 finish at the Western Athletic Conference Championships and two first team All-WAC beam finishers. The beam and floor titles at the 2012 Championships went to Sacramento State gymnasts, coached by Donkin.
Aside from coaching at Sacramento State, Donkin coached at Extreme Gymnastics in Loomis, Calif. She also helped direct numerous gymnastics camps throughout the state of California.
A Northern California native, Donkin earned her bachelor's degree in kinesiology with an emphasis in exercise science in December 2006. She also completed her master’s degree in exercise science in the fall of 2011.
"Jamie will bring great experience and expertise to the program," Richards said. "I am excited to have her join the coaching staff."
USU gymnastics returns two NCAA Regional qualifiers in Sarah Landes and Paige Jones for the 2013 season. Landes, Kaitlyn Betts and Christina Nye also return after earning all-WAC honors last season. Utah State will open the 2013 season at Brigham Young University on Jan. 11.
Fans can follow the USU Gymnastics' Twitter at www.twitter.com/USUGymnastics and on Facebook at Utah State Gymnastics. Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program at twitter.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at Utah State University Athletics.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 90
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- Doug Robinson: Lindsey's bold moves... 22