USU gymnastics: Jamie Donkin named Utah State gymnastics assistant coach
Utah State gymnastics coach Jeff Richards announced Friday that Jamie Donkin has been named as an assistant coach for the Aggies.
Donkin will replace Aggie assistant coach TeShawne Jackson who has left the program to coach at the club level in North Carolina.
"I'm really excited. I've known Jeff for a while and to be able to come in and help with the program is exciting," Donkin said. "It's something new and I'm ready to take on the challenge."
Donkin comes to Utah State from Sacramento State where she spent time competing and coaching. She spent the 2003 season as a beam specialist for the gymnastics team.
In 2004 she began working as a student assistant, working her way up as a graduate assistant and became a full time assistant coach in 2009 as the beam coach and floor choreographer for the Hornets.
Last season she coached the Sacramento State beam team to a 49.100 finish at the Western Athletic Conference Championships and two first team All-WAC beam finishers. The beam and floor titles at the 2012 Championships went to Sacramento State gymnasts, coached by Donkin.
Aside from coaching at Sacramento State, Donkin coached at Extreme Gymnastics in Loomis, Calif. She also helped direct numerous gymnastics camps throughout the state of California.
A Northern California native, Donkin earned her bachelor's degree in kinesiology with an emphasis in exercise science in December 2006. She also completed her master’s degree in exercise science in the fall of 2011.
"Jamie will bring great experience and expertise to the program," Richards said. "I am excited to have her join the coaching staff."
USU gymnastics returns two NCAA Regional qualifiers in Sarah Landes and Paige Jones for the 2013 season. Landes, Kaitlyn Betts and Christina Nye also return after earning all-WAC honors last season. Utah State will open the 2013 season at Brigham Young University on Jan. 11.
Fans can follow the USU Gymnastics' Twitter at www.twitter.com/USUGymnastics and on Facebook at Utah State Gymnastics. Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program at twitter.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at Utah State University Athletics.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35