Man who strangled girlfriend to death going to prison
SALT LAKE CITY — A judge Friday called Todd Eugene Anderson's attitude "callous" and "indifferent" toward his victim.
Third District Court Judge Katie Bernards-Goodman then sentenced Anderson to 1 to 15 years at the Utah State Prison for strangling Jennifer Schubach to death.
"I think they should keep you the whole time," Goodman told Anderson, prompting smiles from the large number of friends and family members of Schubach who also nodded in agreement.
In June, Anderson, 43, was convicted of 2nd degree felony manslaughter. He was originally facing a 1st degree felony murder charge, but a jury determined when Anderson applied a choke hold on Schubach after they had been arguing, he only meant to subdue and quiet her, not kill her.
After strangling her on April 27, 2011, Anderson walked away from the scene without calling 911 or offering help. Schubach's body was found lying face down in the bedroom of her apartment at 535 N. 200 West. Alcohol and drug use were factors.
"I can't even imagine doing that to a stranger," Joi Suliafu, Schubach's aunt, told the court prior to sentencing. "I can't think of a more egregious thing than taking a young life."
Schubach is survived by two daughters.
Speaking to the court before being sentenced, Anderson called Schubach a "wonderful person" and he said "never in a million years" did he believe he could commit such a violent act.
"I'm very ashamed. It's something I'll regret the rest of my life," he said. "She did not deserve to die.....I took a very beautiful person away."
Anderson later repeated that he couldn't believe he was capable of what he called, "gross negligence." After making the statement, at least one member of Schubach's family angrily stormed out of the courtroom.
Anderson said he deserved to go to prison and blamed alcohol for ruining his life.
The judge, however, told Anderson she believed the crime was less about alcoholism and more about his jealousy of Schuback getting ready to go out with someone else.
- Weighing in: The top 20 metro areas with the...
- Utah girl dances solo 9 months after losing...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a caucus a...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Monarchs announce new stadium proposal in...
- House will hear Healthy Utah alongside own...
- Ogden man charged in brutal death of...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 38
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 32
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 26
- House will hear Healthy Utah alongside... 20
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 19