“We want to see who’s going to get downhill the most,” Smalley said. “That’s our biggest thing is we want to establish our run game by running downhill on people. We have to find a running back that’s willing to do that and not try to dance everywhere.”
Smalley is excited about Alec Wing emerging as a diverse quarterback with his get-out-and-go speed marinated with his capabilities to deliver through the air.
“We’re hoping that we can use him as a duel threat because he’s a track guy — very fast. Hopefully we can get him in the open field. He’d be a good runner but he’s also got a strong arm and he’s a smart kid,” Smalley said. “I think we’re in good hands 'cause he’s done a good job of learning how to read the defense when we’re running the option – to be able to find his keys and make the right choices instead of just guessing.”
(5 returning starters; Base 3-4 defense)
The Miners are extremely outsized across the board. For the most part, skill players are interchangeable with linemen strictly based on size, making Park City one of the smallest teams in 3A.
But, as Smalley explained, that’s not unusual.
“One of the things we’re looking forward to is our team speed,” Smalley said. “Hopefully that can benefit us, whereas we don’t have the biggest team and that’s not going to surprise anybody — we never do. But that’s OK as long as we have guys that are willing to hit.”
Kelsch and Papineau highlight the defensive front along with Konnor Andersen.
Coaches’ Region 10 straw poll: Fourth
Deseret News Region 10 prediction: Fourth
Bottom line: With one week left until the start of the season, the Miners clearly are lagging behind the rest of the leading pack in 3A. In terms of Region 10 play, it should come down to Park City and Uintah vying for the fourth and final playoff position. That said, making the playoffs is a serious question mark moving forward. If Park City can find consistent play on offense and find ways to disguise its glaring lack of size an improvement in 2012 is imminent.
Aug. 17 — at Spanish Fork, 7 p.m.
Aug. 24 — STANSBURY, 7 p.m.
Aug. 31 — SNOW CANYON, 7 p.m.
Sept. 7 — DELTA, 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 — at Juab, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 — at Judge Memorial, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 — at Union, 7 p.m.
Oct. 5 — UINTAH, 7 p.m.
Oct. 12 — at Juan Diego, 7 p.m.
Oct. 19 — WASATCH, 7 p.m.
Felt’s Facts for Park City High School
All-time record: 395-397-23 (104 years)
Region championships: 23 (1932, 1933, 1934, 1936, 1938, 1941, 1945, 1961, 1969 co, 1980, 1981, 1982 co, 1983 co, 1987, 1988, 1991 co, 2001 co, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010)
Playoff appearances: 37
All-time playoff record: 27-37
State championships: 0
State championship record: 0-5
Most played rivalry: 92 meetings with North Summit dating back to 1926. North Summit leads 47-42-3. Last met in 2004.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork continues...
- 5A softball: Riverton rallies past West with...
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper Mike...
- 5A baseball: Cottonwood wins a pair, marches...
- Timpanogos scores 2 big wins to remain one of...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- Timpanogos takes home a 4A state... 3
- High school baseball: American Fork... 3
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 2
- High school soccer: Maple Mountain... 1
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork sweeps second... 1
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0