Former state representative and congressional candidate finds a new role. Carl Wimmer takes job as high school resource officer
Wimmer traveled to Nevada and within a few days was on the road back to Utah, characterizing the Nevada state party as confused and “non-functional” and leaving him out of a job in a very public way.
He said he and his wife, Sherry decided he should return to law enforcement, where he had worked for 12 years before he got into politics.
“The thing about being a police officer is the job can take you anywhere,” he said. “When we drove to Gunnison, we fell in love with the city. We fell in love with Sanpete County. We love the people. This is a great place to raise children.”
The job of resource officer will be a change of pace for Wimmer. Before he got into politics, Wimmer was a SWAT commander and tactical trainer. School resource officers function as counselors and teachers, working with school officials, local authorities and parents to keep teenage students out of trouble.
But Wimmer, who has already started the job, has worked with kids before. He won recognition as the Drug Abuse Resistance Education Officer of the Year while he was in Herriman. And he is enthusiastic about the position.
“I’m really looking forward to it,” he said. “I want to see if we can make a difference in these kids’ lives. I really believe we can.”
City police chief Trent Halliday said Wimmer "is a great addition to the department.”
Wimmer is renting a house in Gunnison ahd said he plans to move his family down soon. He and his wife will rent out their house in Herriman. And he said will keep his eye on the political scene, even the local political scene in Gunnison. He said he won’t rule out a run for one of the local political offices, though the city’s mayor, Lori Nay, and the county sheriff, Brian Nielson, can breathe easy.
“I have a tremendous respect for both of them,” he said. “I wouldn’t run for their offices unless they decided not to run.”
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Brother, sister hugged each other as they...
- Police say man murdered his mother in her...
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 30
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 19
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 11
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8