USU athletics: Utah State leads WAC in Academic All-Conference honorees again
For the seventh year in a row, Utah State led the Western Athletic Conference in number of Academic All-Conference honorees as the Aggies landed 185 student-athletes on the Academic All-WAC teams in 2011-12.
Overall, it is the 13th time in the last 14 years Utah State has had the most academic all-league honorees. USU also led the Big West Conference in 2000 and 2002-05. In 2001, the Aggies ranked second in the Big West in academic selections.
“We continue to move the academic bar higher and our student-athletes continue to meet or exceed it,” said associate athletics director for student-athlete services Dr. Brian Evans. “Academic achievement is a culture that we seem to have found the right formula in creating.”
During 2011-12, Utah State had 185 student-athletes earn academic all-WAC honors to lead the league, while New Mexico State was second with 181. Idaho was third with 177, followed by Fresno State (142), Hawai’i (130), Nevada (104), San Jose State (102) and Louisiana Tech (92). To qualify for the academic teams, student-athletes must post a 3.0 cumulative grade point average and participate in at least 50 percent of the team's games.
Utah State's student-athletes rank among the best in the Western Athletic Conference with an 84 percent graduation success rate and a cumulative 3.19 grade-point average.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 31
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22