Second body found in Lake Powell near where first was found
PAGE, Ariz. — Police are investigating the drowning of two women who were found in Lake Powell.
The body of Merve Tokel was pulled out of the Lake Wednesday, and Betul Eryildirim was found Thursday.
The two women, both 21 and from Turkey, were working for the summer for the company that runs the concession stand at Bullfrog Marina. They were living in Bullfrog for the summer.
On Wednesday, about 3:45 p.m., the body of Tokel was spotted by a boater; the body was floating face down in the water near a popular swim beach in Croppy Cove near the Bullfrog Marina.
Divers located the body of Eryildirim Thursday, about 6:30 p.m., in about 30 feet of water near the area where the first woman was found.
The women had told friends they were leaving to go to the beach about 3 p.m. and return at 6 p.m., said Kane County Sheriff's Sgt. Alan Alldredge.
"At this point, no foul play is expected," he said. "But investigators are treating the incident as a homicide until it can be ruled out."
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential... 18