Man charged with aggravated murder in S.L. shooting death
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing one man and injuring another has been charged with aggravated murder.
Michael Eugene Vigil, 36, aka "Lil Mike," was charged in 3rd District Court with aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder, or in the alternative discharging a firearm causing serious bodily injury, possession of a firearm by a restricted person and an additional count of discharging a firearm causing serious bodily injury. He is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail on $1 million bail.
On July 28, Antonio Vasquez and Lee Otero were visiting Vigil's parents, 440 N. Grant St., when Vigil, who had just arrived at home, "came out the front door and shot Mr. Vasquez and then shot (Otero)," according to charging documents.
A possible motive for the shooting was not revealed in charging documents.
Vasquez was found dead by police with a gunshot wound in Vigil's yard.
After shooting Otero, Vigil chased after him, firing more rounds as he went, police said. Police later found numerous shell casings in the yard and street as well as, "bullet holes and marks in various vehicles and structures" along the street, according to court papers.
Vigil surrendered without further incident after police arrived. Otero, who was shot in the chest and the arm, was taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
Vigil's criminal history includes a third-degree felony conviction for attempting to tamper with evidence in 1999 and a third-degree felony aggravated assault charge in 1996 that was reduced to a class B misdemeanor simple assault in a plea deal.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 14