Man charged with aggravated murder in S.L. shooting death
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing one man and injuring another has been charged with aggravated murder.
Michael Eugene Vigil, 36, aka "Lil Mike," was charged in 3rd District Court with aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder, or in the alternative discharging a firearm causing serious bodily injury, possession of a firearm by a restricted person and an additional count of discharging a firearm causing serious bodily injury. He is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail on $1 million bail.
On July 28, Antonio Vasquez and Lee Otero were visiting Vigil's parents, 440 N. Grant St., when Vigil, who had just arrived at home, "came out the front door and shot Mr. Vasquez and then shot (Otero)," according to charging documents.
A possible motive for the shooting was not revealed in charging documents.
Vasquez was found dead by police with a gunshot wound in Vigil's yard.
After shooting Otero, Vigil chased after him, firing more rounds as he went, police said. Police later found numerous shell casings in the yard and street as well as, "bullet holes and marks in various vehicles and structures" along the street, according to court papers.
Vigil surrendered without further incident after police arrived. Otero, who was shot in the chest and the arm, was taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
Vigil's criminal history includes a third-degree felony conviction for attempting to tamper with evidence in 1999 and a third-degree felony aggravated assault charge in 1996 that was reduced to a class B misdemeanor simple assault in a plea deal.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 15
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12