The U.S. men's volleyball team lost three straight sets in its match against Italy during the quarterfinal round on Wednesday, ending the team's bid for the medal podium.
The U.S. men, who won gold four years ago in Beijing, were ranked fifth entering the Olympics in London.
They were 4-1 in the preliminary round with their only loss to Russia and coming out as the top seed from their pool.
The team includes Mormon returned missionaries Russell Holmes, a middle blocker, and libero Rich Lambourne. Both played for Brigham Young University.
Other updates on Mormon Olympians:
BMX cycling: Cedar Hills resident Arielle Martin was scheduled to compete Wednesday, but crashed during training on July 31. She remains hospitalized, but is progressing. See "Cedar Hills declares Aug. 8 Arielle Martin Day" for more on her condition and progress.
The U.S. women's water polo team is scheduled to play Spain in the gold-medal match on Thursday.
Tumua Anae, 23, the United States team's backup goalkeeper, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- New collaboration helps track pioneer...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's influence...
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch indexing...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 34
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 19
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 4
- Having trouble understanding the Bible?... 4