The U.S. men's volleyball team lost three straight sets in its match against Italy during the quarterfinal round on Wednesday, ending the team's bid for the medal podium.
The U.S. men, who won gold four years ago in Beijing, were ranked fifth entering the Olympics in London.
They were 4-1 in the preliminary round with their only loss to Russia and coming out as the top seed from their pool.
The team includes Mormon returned missionaries Russell Holmes, a middle blocker, and libero Rich Lambourne. Both played for Brigham Young University.
Other updates on Mormon Olympians:
BMX cycling: Cedar Hills resident Arielle Martin was scheduled to compete Wednesday, but crashed during training on July 31. She remains hospitalized, but is progressing. See "Cedar Hills declares Aug. 8 Arielle Martin Day" for more on her condition and progress.
The U.S. women's water polo team is scheduled to play Spain in the gold-medal match on Thursday.
Tumua Anae, 23, the United States team's backup goalkeeper, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of the...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of... 57
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 17
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 10
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 10
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7