The U.S. men's volleyball team lost three straight sets in its match against Italy during the quarterfinal round on Wednesday, ending the team's bid for the medal podium.
The U.S. men, who won gold four years ago in Beijing, were ranked fifth entering the Olympics in London.
They were 4-1 in the preliminary round with their only loss to Russia and coming out as the top seed from their pool.
The team includes Mormon returned missionaries Russell Holmes, a middle blocker, and libero Rich Lambourne. Both played for Brigham Young University.
Other updates on Mormon Olympians:
BMX cycling: Cedar Hills resident Arielle Martin was scheduled to compete Wednesday, but crashed during training on July 31. She remains hospitalized, but is progressing. See "Cedar Hills declares Aug. 8 Arielle Martin Day" for more on her condition and progress.
The U.S. women's water polo team is scheduled to play Spain in the gold-medal match on Thursday.
Tumua Anae, 23, the United States team's backup goalkeeper, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- See how this forgotten Holocaust history is...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Mormon Mentions: Bryce Harper posts about his...
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment' during...
- In Germany, secular...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 28
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 15
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 11
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- How would you describe God in just one... 10
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 9
- Does Hollywood demean — or... 9