The U.S. men's volleyball team lost three straight sets in its match against Italy during the quarterfinal round on Wednesday, ending the team's bid for the medal podium.
The U.S. men, who won gold four years ago in Beijing, were ranked fifth entering the Olympics in London.
They were 4-1 in the preliminary round with their only loss to Russia and coming out as the top seed from their pool.
The team includes Mormon returned missionaries Russell Holmes, a middle blocker, and libero Rich Lambourne. Both played for Brigham Young University.
Other updates on Mormon Olympians:
BMX cycling: Cedar Hills resident Arielle Martin was scheduled to compete Wednesday, but crashed during training on July 31. She remains hospitalized, but is progressing. See "Cedar Hills declares Aug. 8 Arielle Martin Day" for more on her condition and progress.
The U.S. women's water polo team is scheduled to play Spain in the gold-medal match on Thursday.
Tumua Anae, 23, the United States team's backup goalkeeper, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Researching Family History: It's a day of a...
- Wright Words: Why I’m sorry for judging...
- LDS leaders picture quiz: Can you name that...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 67
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 47
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 38
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 32
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 26
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- What would Jesus buy? New website helps... 14