The U.S. men's volleyball team lost three straight sets in its match against Italy during the quarterfinal round on Wednesday, ending the team's bid for the medal podium.
The U.S. men, who won gold four years ago in Beijing, were ranked fifth entering the Olympics in London.
They were 4-1 in the preliminary round with their only loss to Russia and coming out as the top seed from their pool.
The team includes Mormon returned missionaries Russell Holmes, a middle blocker, and libero Rich Lambourne. Both played for Brigham Young University.
Other updates on Mormon Olympians:
BMX cycling: Cedar Hills resident Arielle Martin was scheduled to compete Wednesday, but crashed during training on July 31. She remains hospitalized, but is progressing. See "Cedar Hills declares Aug. 8 Arielle Martin Day" for more on her condition and progress.
The U.S. women's water polo team is scheduled to play Spain in the gold-medal match on Thursday.
Tumua Anae, 23, the United States team's backup goalkeeper, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 105
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 44
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 10
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins... 8