BYU cross country: 2012 recruiting class best in BYU women's cross country history
PROVO, Utah – Many strong runners return for 2012, and BYU head coach Patrick Shane adds what he calls the best cross country recruiting class in BYU history.
"There's no question this is the best group of girls I've ever signed," Shane said. "It’s getting time for me to retire here soon, but it's not going to be for at least another five years. I want to see all of these girls go through this program because there isn't a finer group of long distance runners in the country, I believe."
Included in this year’s incoming class are Utah natives Ashleigh Warner, Natalie Shields and Erica Birk. During the high school BYU Invitational this past year, all three girls broke the 1,600-meter state record with times of 4:50.13, 4:51.02 and 4:51.03, respectively. Also, competing in the race was future teammate Laura Young who finished fourth with a time of 4:56.43. Shields is also the cousin of BYU men’s cross-country All-American Rex Shields.
Other runners in this year’s recruiting class are Carrie Jube, Erika Reddish and Danica Wyson. Jube, who had a successful career at Timpview High School in Provo, Utah, finished fifth in state in cross-country and sixth in state in the 3,200 during her senior year. She also led her cross-country team to a first-place region finish placing third overall.
Reddish is known as one of the best distance runners to come out of Murreita, Calif., according to the North County Times. During her four years at Vista Murreita High School, she won the 1,600 at the Southwestern League finals four years in a row and set three Valley records in the 800, the 1,600 and the 3,200.
Wyson, a product of Laguna Niguel, Calif., spent most of her junior year struggling with injuries but returned as a senior as one of the top distance runners in Calif. She finished fourth at the South Coast League finals, fifth at the CIF-SS finals and 12th at the Division I state finals.
“After we finished the recruiting process with these girls, I kept thinking where have they all been,” Shane said. “It has just been one of those years to find a special group of girls.
Throughout Shane’s 32 years of coaching, he and his cross-country teams won four NCAA Division I National Championships, 24 conference championships and finished in the Top-10 19 times. He has coached six Olympians, 48 All-Americans and was named the NCAA coach of the year three times.
“It’s been a long time since I have found such a strong group of runners,” Shane said, “and given the exceptional runners we have had here over the years, that says a lot."
Mountain View High School, Orem, Utah
- 800 – 2:12.31 New PR, winning the Utah State 4A Championship
- 1600 – 4:50.13 (Altitude adjusted 1600 = 4:44.72) BYU Invitational
- 3200 – 10:52.23 (Altitude adjusted 3200 = 10:37) BYU Invitational
East High School, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 1600 – 4:51.03 (Altitude adjusted 1600 = 4:45.66) BYU Invitational 3
- 3200 – 10:14.16 (Altitude adjusted 3200 = 10:10) New Balance Outdoor Nationals
North Summit High School, Coalville, Utah
- 800 – 2:11.97 New State 2A Record & Utah State Meet 2A Record
- 1600 – 4:51.02 (Altitude adjusted 1600 = 4:45.65) BYU Invitational
- 3200 – 10:34.66 (Altitude adjusted 3200 = 10:20) BYU Invitational
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34